Air 2, dangerous octopus??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It was brought to my attendion that an Air 2 octopus can be dangerous. Is that true? Will it be difficult with my buddy using my second stage with I use my air 2 and accessding at the same time? Can I actually realease air while breathing from it? I am getting one real soon.

Help
Jazz

There seems to be 2 schools of though on this, alot of people on the board bash them and some defend them.

Personally I like diving with them, dive Mk25 S600 setup with Air2. I have not had any problems with sharing air, dumping air while ascending either. It dumps air fine during an ascent, or use a dump valve.

If you get the opportunity try a few test dives with one and take it from there.

Cheers

So yeah alot of people claim their are dangerous and the rest yet I find mine breathes better than alot of primarys and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

I have been using mine since '91 and have enjoyed not having the extra reg (other than the Air2, I just picked up a new one. I like to be able to hang on to my buddy while ascending and still have my other hand on my BCD controls( air2) I feel in more control. I am new to this site what negatives are there? I haven't noticed any.

Yeah it's a great site, only problem is you end up spending WAY to much time here :)

Definitely been a lot of talk on them, that's for sure.

I had one for about a year when I started diving and eventually sold mine on eBay. It's a great idea for diving that's not too deep or not in the overhead. The main reason that I got rid of mine was because I was switching over to a cave diving setup for some upcoming classes. The Air2's don't fly in the caves :)

I didn't like it's breathing characteristics much - it was okay, but not the smoothest. I definitely enjoy using my full second regulator on my doubles or h-valves now. Something about having your own regulator when doing a rescue :) And doing a rescue (out of air/free flow) with a long hose is a world easier than any other way I've found yet (no, I'm not DIR...).

Just a thought - it is a nice little piece of gear, but it can become limiting if you are looking to do some tougher stuff with it.

Usage of the Air 2 depends on your needs. I have never had a major problem with mine. It is touchy if it gets sand in it (meaning it will free flow). It must be maintained properly and cleaned very well. Some technicians do not know how to adjust the Air 2 correctly. I adjust mine myself.

I have used mine in an emergency. It works just fine. No, it doesn't breath as well as my primary. That is not it's purpose. It is designed to get you and your buddy to the surface in an OOA or another emergency. That is it's sole intent. The Air 2 will do that just fine. I check mine on nearly every dive and breath on it for a while to ensure it's function and my bouyancy skills using my Octo/inflator as my breathing aperatus.

For PSD work you want as little gear as possible and as few hoses as possible.

The Air-2 can help by eliminating a hose. But the Air-2 isn’t the only option. My wife uses one but I have a normal regulator in-line on my BC hose. So IF something were to happen where the BC needs to be unplugged I still have an Octo.

I don’t care what it is there will be the group that says it’s fine and another group that will say the same thing will kill you. Try whatever your looking at for yourself, see if it fits your needs and make your own evaluation. There is no equipment out there that will fit every need as there is no one motor vehicle that will work for everyone.

It’s like the guys that got all over us last weekend at the Ironman. We could have been in the water, to dive deep, in less than two minutes because we were ready but not suited up. They were suited and ready to go. That’s fine but who is going to be in the best shape if something happens?

We were ready with our normal Rescue response gear. They had more equipment than some cave divers use including 3 tanks and 4 regulators, lines, lift bags etc.. Our gear was all positioned and ready to slip into. They were fully suited up even to the point of having their masks on.

Now you’re sitting in a boat for 2.5 hours, in the sun and warm temps. The water is in the mid 60’s at the surface and in the mid 30’s at depth. Who do you think is going to be in the best shape to do a rescue?

That group has never done a rescue or a recovery in their existence. In fact they have never and will never be called. There things they just overlook. First is training. They think the PADI Rescue course makes them PSD’s. They have this idea to start CPR on the bottom to speed things up and the list goes on.

The chances for having to DIVE at the Ironman or most other swimming events we have in the lakes are very slim. The swimmers are wearing wet suits so we are there more for surface rescue than to dive. We did 6 this year, which is real unusual.

So it just boils down to knowing what you need, getting what you need and getting PROFICIENT with it.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom