Air Bank cylinder testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz996

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys I’m having a nightmare with a cylinder testing place, I’ve bin quoted £400 to test 8 air bank cylinders if I can wait 2 weeks so I agreed and transported them by trailer 90 miles to the test place. After unloading them he tells me he wants double the test fee for 4 of them because they have a round base it will take a lot more labour arrantly🤔 I wasn’t happy but what can you do I said ok, before taking the cylinders for test I took the valves out and looked inside with a camera to make sure it was worth taking them for test(no rust) after waiting 8 weeks now they are telling me one cylinder is scrap due to corrosion and 5 valves a scrap because of bad threads, the threads on the valves was perfect with no wear/damage when I unscrewed them and I seen no heavy rust in any of the cylinders, so I’ve said ok I’d like to see the cylinder that has failed and the 5 valves with bad threads, they have told me no they have already bin disposed of and they now want £802 of me and that includes a good will gesture of knocking off the test fee for the cylinder that failed and they want full payment up front before i can go down to the premises🤬 I was under the impression that the cylinder would have had the neck cut to render it unusable but I’m still able see it, same with the valves, I’m just getting very suspicious of this place that their trying to have my pants down, what do you guys think?

After unloading them he tells me he wants double the test fee for 4 of them because they have a round base it will take a lot more labour?
Could have said something before unloading. Sounds scammy.
I wasn’t happy but what can you do I said ok, before taking the cylinders for test I took the valves out and looked inside with a camera to make sure it was worth taking them for test(no rust) after waiting 8 weeks now they are telling me one cylinder is scrap due to corrosion and 5 valves a scrap because of bad threads, the threads on the valves was perfect with no wear/damage when I unscrewed them and I seen no heavy rust in any of the cylinders, so I’ve said ok I’d like see the cylinder that has failed and the 5 valves with bad threads, they have told me no they have already bin disposed of
Sounds very scammy. A reputable shop would have called before scraping the valves, and would have kept all scrapped valves/tanks to show the customer.

and they now want £802 of me and that includes a good will gesture of knocking off the test fee for the cylinder that failed and they want full payment before a can go down to the premises🤬
Definitely scammy. Shouldn't have to pre-pay to visit any business.

Hi guys I’m having a nightmare with a cylinder testing place, I’ve bin quoted £400 to test 8 air bank cylinders if I can wait 2 weeks so I agreed and transported them by trailer 90 miles to the test place. After unloading them he tells me he wants double the test fee for 4 of them because they have a round base it will take a lot more labour arrantly🤔 I wasn’t happy but what can you do I said ok, before taking the cylinders for test I took the valves out and looked inside with a camera to make sure it was worth taking them for test(no rust) after waiting 8 weeks now they are telling me one cylinder is scrap due to corrosion and 5 valves a scrap because of bad threads, the threads on the valves was perfect with no wear/damage when I unscrewed them and I seen no heavy rust in any of the cylinders, so I’ve said ok I’d like to see the cylinder that has failed and the 5 valves with bad threads, they have told me no they have already bin disposed of and they now want £802 of me and that includes a good will gesture of knocking off the test fee for the cylinder that failed and they want full payment up front before i can go down to the premises🤬 I was under the impression that the cylinder would have had the neck cut to render it unusable but I’m still able see it, same with the valves, I’m just getting very suspicious of this place that their trying to have my pants down, what do you guys think?
Well let me guess you sent them to Nottingham?
When you should have sent them half that distance nearer had you asked.

Now to kick off are you sure you firstly own the cylinders and they've not ex rentals you got off eBay and have Air Products, BOC or such like written around the neck.

Second on those round bottom cylinders again are you sure the've not got NES stamped on the neck and are ex MoD 40 year old end of service life scrappers that should have been condemned but ended up at a dive shop before you. Or done multiple "Cave fill" pressures on them to test pressure just for grins.

Third if you bought these cylinders new you would have had a drawing with each of them together with a test docket, with a material PMI data docket, an original hydro test cert, and a certificate of material etc etc for the re test house to take reference with as to the original water capacity volume and original tare weight in order to compare the original dimensions and weight for things like permanent set and weight in case someone has shot blasted out all the rust scale to a thin skin etc.

But if you just dumped off a pile of old miss matched scuba shop junkers with no traceable history or documentation I'm just surprised they are letting you off so cheap even at double the price.

You do of course still have the original serial numbers, manufacturer and date of manufacture for what you dropped you can post and enclose some photos. Just Saying. Iain

Well let me guess you sent them to Nottingham?
When you should have sent them half that distance nearer had you asked.

Now to kick off are you sure you firstly own the cylinders and they've not ex rentals you got off eBay and have Air Products, BOC or such like written around the neck.

Second on those round bottom cylinders again are you sure the've not got NES stamped on the neck and are ex MoD 40 year old end of service life scrappers that should have been condemned but ended up at a dive shop before you. Or done multiple "Cave fill" pressures on them to test pressure just for grins.

Third if you bought these cylinders new you would have had a drawing with each of them together with a test docket, with a material PMI data docket, an original hydro test cert, and a certificate of material etc etc for the re test house to take reference with as to the original water capacity volume and original tare weight in order to compare the original dimensions and weight for things like permanent set and weight in case someone has shot blasted out all the rust scale to a thin skin etc.

But if you just dumped off a pile of old miss matched scuba shop junkers with no traceable history or documentation I'm just surprised they are letting you off so cheap even at double the price.

You do of course still have the original serial numbers, manufacturer and date of manufacture for what you dropped you can post and enclose some photos. Just Saying. Iain
No i didn’t send them to Nottingham I took them to Selby, I normally have cts in Liverpool test my cylinders but their ovens have bin down for 5 weeks I should of waited, yes I own the cylinders their not boc rentals etc, sorry I can’t be bothered talking to you anymore, you come across as smug, arrogant, smart arse trying to be clever, sorry.

I’m just getting very suspicious of this place that their trying to have my pants down, what do you guys think?
I think you're just an angry man with his pants down about to pay £800 for some cylinder tests. Just don't take it out on me, all I did was try and get the full background to your story.

I think you're just an angry man with his pants down about to pay £800 for some cylinder tests. Just don't take it out on me, all I did was try and get the full background to your story.
All you tried to do is be clever and a smart a&se just like in this reply to, some people just can’t help themselves I understand that, its like a sickness to try and belittle someone at every opportunity it makes them feel important/powerful, what I’m angry about is this company has bin sneaky/sly at every aspect of this ordeal, every other cylinder centre I’ve ever used have bin transparent and straight with me without mountains of contradictory bullsh#t im getting from this place.

After unloading them he tells me he wants double the test fee for 4 of them because they have a round base it will take a lot more labour arrantly🤔 I wasn’t happy but what can you do I said ok,
That's about right, Look you roll up with ex Mod (Ministry of Defence) Mk 12's and you get charged about double that of a standard British Standard Flat bottom cylinder.
Now if you had told him what you had in the first place we wouldn't have Mr Angry on the forum with his pants down bleating like some spoilt kid.
You didn't tell them what you had in the first place, you still haven't told us on the forum either
You roll up and are told the Mk 12 round bottom cylinder are going to cost double for labour
You say yes and now your asking what can I do about it?

Well pull your pants up for starters, pay your bill be happy and quit your gripe.

All you tried to do is be clever and a smart a&se just like in this reply to, some people just can’t help themselves I understand that, its like a sickness to try and belittle someone at every opportunity it makes them feel important/powerful, what I’m angry about is this company has bin sneaky/sly at every aspect of this ordeal, every other cylinder centre I’ve ever used have bin transparent and straight with me without mountains of contradictory bullsh#t im getting from this place.
Have you tried therapy and anger management classes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom