Air Fill Argument

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like there are bad LDS's and bad customers. If I can support the LDS within reason I will. But in reality I can't expect them to hand me money so I can keep diving and they can't expect me to hand them money so they can stay in business. Personaly I can't see how LDSs can make enough money in this economy. If the LDS could find a cheaper supplier I'm sure they would do it. Both of us have to be able to do what we love and at the same time feed our families.

Lead_carrier:
Maybe he doesn't mean any ill will and he definitely doesn't owe his loyalty to any me or any local shop. By the same token, don't ask me to go an extra mile for you then flip me off either. As the old saying goes, Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. It won't happen a second time.

I'm missing something, I thought you said he went to a "different dive shop" and did this?

I'm not even sure how anyone was screwed. I always tell people if they want to buy online then shop online. I don't like seeing people use the LDS to test drive and fit gear when they have no intention of buying there. But you mentioned he went there to match online prices so it sounds like he was honest and upfront. If the LDS had a problem with it, didn't they have the opportunity to say so? You also mentioned their price was close to online price. Hard to imagine someone walking out over a few bucks (unless your idea of "close" means "only $200 more"). Hard to imagine also someone being rude enough to explicitly say "I don't care about you" unless they felt harassed, but some people are like that I guess.

What I'm getting at, is your stance really about this guy's decision to buy online or is it a personality conflict? Did you sense his attitude when he was your student?

I think the retail markup has come down some in certain areas. Here in So. FL. with Divers Direct, we've seen the evolution of the very large, "wall mart-ian" type store, that offers good service, basic air fills (NO Nitrox), a large selection, and good prices to go along with it. Judging by their success, it seems people do like that set up. I personally have made many a purchase there, but also buy at my local dive shop. I purchase many things online, but life support equipment just isnt one of them.

GDI:
You missed the part about Walmart and Sports Authority so here it is again...

No, here is the quote:

GDI:
Online or from a LDS don't sjow up at a class without equipment that can handle it. If you don't want to listen to me about which equipment is better then I will let the environment show you what you bought is wrong. If you are going to do this sport with any degree of seriuosness then buy the correct equipment!

So, you're claiming that if Sports Authority begins selling Aqua Lung regs, then people are going to be killed by them, becuase they are now crap?

Your statements are confusing. Are claiming that anything sold by a chain store is crap? or are you claiming that anything bought online is crap? Becuase you are certainly claiming that anything NOT bought directly from an instructor/dive shop owner is not "correct" equipment.

Lead_carrier:
Next time you visit Cave Excersions, bargin Bill down on his prices, get a couple of extras out of him then tell him to get screwed. See if his attitude doesn't change toward you. I have a feeling he wouldn't be as friendly and glad to see you next time you darkened his doors.:14:

The interesting thing is last time I was at Bill's (mid March), I was looking at Dry suits. I demo'd his personal suit as well as a Dive rite demo suit. Was just about to buy a brand new one when Dive Rite offered to sell the used one I demo'd for much less. Bill had no problem with the decision to buy that drysuit over new. (I don't know if Bill made anything or not on that either). As we left and paid our tab for our other expenses, he wanted to know when we'd be back.

That is customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom