Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboyff

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Brian , and I'm an air hog. Please help me dive like a normal person. Was diving in Coz and had to switch to a 100 not the 80's like everone else. I have been diving for 3 yrs, (under50 dives)and it has gotten better. Have seen cd's on e-bay to help you with your breathing, do they work??? have any other ideas? or am I doomed to a life of an air hog and be forced to surface before everyone else?

Me too, I think they changed our description to "Hoovers".

Last two times I dived I had a leak from the tank o-ring, maybe I still have hope.. better luck next time to us all.

To diagnose the problem requires more info. Are you particularly anxious? Are you exerting yourself a lot? Are you out of shape? Are you unusually large?

Practice can fix some issues that lead to excess air usage, but not all.

If I recall correctly there's a point where being physically fit is actually going to make you use more air, i.e. lets say you're Arnold for example. You'll use more air than say Pee Wee...

What I would suggest, and not that I'm the greatest, but I'd say that it's more about comfort and not darting about like your house is on fire than anything else. Besides, so what if you need a Steel HP 100 to match their AL80's. You'll still be able to dive with them just the same.

For what it's worth, there is always going to be somebody who has a better SAC. Not to mention the only thing people can teach you are tricks. You'll do best by not resorting to tricks, they can be dangerous. I have a buddy who rescued his old buddy because that guy skip breathed to get a good SAC. He passed out underwater doing that, not good. Now he won't dive with anybody who he suspects of skip breathing.

Don't use tricks, get in shape and just dive. Swim a lot, that helps.

I guess I would first need to know something about your dive and personal habits to possibly give suggestions on better breathing. Like for example, do you smoke? What kind of shape are you in? In terms of when you are diving; are you relaxed or do you have a sense of tension/antisipation(sp?)/stress/ even exhilaration? Do you feel like you have to consentrate on your breathing? Do you use your own gear or do you rent? Has your gear, specifically your regs been properly serviced?

I guess I am trying to say there are many diffferent reasons to be a "hoover". Some are easily controlled, ie good, serviced equipment, and others are physiological and take more time to work out. For example, I find I breath more air the colder the water gets. I have friends that I dive with that aren't effected by the cold water as much. When I started diving, breathing was something I had to consentrate on. I mean even in OW training they are always telling you to keep breathing and how important it is. When I had to think about my breathing I used more air. Once it became automatic for me, like everyday breathing, I found my air consuption dropped.

The one thing that I think has helped me the most is the fact that I am a firefighter and I wear and work with an SCBA on all the time. I believe that I have learned to breath better/easier while working with regulated air. There IS a difference between doing work while on a regulated air system than just breathing open air. You might try this experiment....... Find an activity like riding a stationary bike, and do it for 5 minutes and have a friend count your respirations just breathing normal air. It doesn't have to be a run or anything, and you don't have to end up completely out of breath, just a good solid activity rate. After that rest for a while and do the exact same activity again but this time breathing off your regulator. (Find an activity that you can some how not have to support the weight of your tank on you) I will bet for the exact same activity you will breath more rapidly while using the regulator. Its a different feel and a different resistance level on inspiration. You are breathing pressurized gas with the regulator and not when on outside air. You have to teach your body that the resistance that you initially feel when breathing in a regulator, does not need to trigger a response to breath faster.

Just some thoughts and maybe ramblings...... excuse the spelling errors, its getting late.

ItsBruce:
To diagnose the problem requires more info. Are you particularly anxious? Are you exerting yourself a lot? Are you out of shape? Are you unusually large?

Practice can fix some issues that lead to excess air usage, but not all.

Details...Details...Details...:lurk:

dandrian:
Gees now I know I was rambling..... 3 people posted in the time it took me to type mine LOL

Nah...just remember Hemingway when you respond...:D

Back
Top Bottom