Air Integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,
I am looking at buying a computer, and basically was hoping someone could answer a question for me. What exactly does air integrated mean? At first I thought it referred to being attached to an hp hose, but it seems this is not. I notice they seem more expensive, so I really want to know if it worth paying the extra. I am looking for a good Nitrox computer, that will replace an air only computer I have. Thanks for the help!

"Air Integrated" is the final piece of the puzzle for complete analytics on a dive computer, since it monitors your gas and calculates your remaining dive time (factoring in nitrogen loading and remaining gas to your dive profile). It also permits more detailed PC downloadable dive profile data/statistics. I strongly recommend it. I use the wireless Aeris Elite dive computer.

"Air integrated" means an SPG fuction is incorporated into the computer. Normally that allows gas calculations such as air time remaining. However I have seen computers where the "air integrated" feature stops with the SPG function being included in the computer but with the computer not having anything to do with the SPG. Scubapro's EDI computers were a good example of this.

I generally agree that Air integration can be nice as it allows all sorts of nifty analaytical things having to do with air time remaining, SAC rates etc. But it is not always as nifty or useful as it sounds.

For example air time remaining is often not the limiting factor at depths below about 60 ft and most especialy on repetetive dives and consequently is not real useful to have. If you are deco diving, your planning should be done well in advance and Air time remaining is consequently also not useful to have.

Also most computers track all kinds of useful data but not all of the download softwware actually takes advantage f this information so to get the most out of the computer, you may even have to buy software from a third party to fully take advantage of the data collected.

And in my experience, AI computers are much more expensive and are more likely to fail than a non air integrated computer as they are simply more complicated.

I've never dove with an air integrated computer, but I would agree with DA that it's probably not the big advantage that it's made out to be. I'm sure it's a convenience if you have a wrist mount AI to be able to see your gas supply without looking at a SPG, but to be honest it's just not much of a hassle to do so. Once you've got a little experience diving, you'll be much more interested in depth, ascent rate, and dive time.

I have a Suunto Cobra which is integrated and really like the fact that it is. Means I have one thing to look at, instead of a computer screen and then gauge. Also it does rough calculations in terms of how much air time you have left given how you're currently breathing, not perfect but interesting to estimate. They also do a pretty good job when downloading data, so it calculates SAC rate and such for me as well as graphing psi through the dive.

I wouldn't say I'd never dive without the integration, but definitely highly prefer it. In the end I think it boils down to cost and convenience. Is it worth a few hundred bucks to have it integrated and do you want to store the data when you sync it with your desktop computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom