Air Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakestg

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

This weekend my brother and I are heading up to Vortex Springs to do one of our first dives since we finished our OW. We are both extremely comfortable with the water with 2 dives under our belt out in the gulf.

I just have one question that I never got the answer to, What minimum of PSI would be good to start heading back and ascending?

Thanks,

Jake

the goal here in the Keys is back on the boat (or land) with 500psi.
There is the rule of "Thirds" too, use 1/3 tank to get where you want to, 1/3 tank back and 1/3 tank for reserve.

But Im still a newbie in the big schemes of things, so check with the experts.

Start with this article from our very own [user]NWGratefulDiver[/user]: Gas Management

Depends of course on how quickly you both use up air. And Vortex isn't all that deep. But you do want to have no less than 500 when you surface, in case you or buddy were to need it.

Be on the safe side and begin your ascent with 1000psi. You may reach the surface with a lot more than 500, but since these are your first dives on your own, better safe than sorry.

You need to have enough gas to get you and your OOA buddy safely to the surface, from wherever you are--details will vary. Thirds might or might not be enough, same for that 500 psi reserve some operators want you to have on the boat. Rock Bottom is your friend.

the goal here in the Keys is back on the boat (or land) with 500psi.
There is the rule of "Thirds" too, use 1/3 tank to get where you want to, 1/3 tank back and 1/3 tank for reserve.

But Im still a newbie in the big schemes of things, so check with the experts.

Thats a good rule, i'll keep that in mind.
Depends of course on how quickly you both use up air. And Vortex isn't all that deep. But you do want to have no less than 500 when you surface, in case you or buddy were to need it.

Be on the safe side and begin your ascent with 1000psi. You may reach the surface with a lot more than 500, but since these are your first dives on your own, better safe than sorry.

Totally agree being on the safe side. I will probably use 1000 as my ascending PSI.

Start with this article from our very own [user]NWGratefulDiver[/user]: Gas Management

Thanks! The article is very informative on many things I never considered.

Start on the conservative side and you will learn your gas management with experience.

Vortex is a very "benign" shore dive. I have taken a few courses there, and it also was my first dives after OW certification. The deepest spot is about 54 feet down the descent line. As long as you are not down there at that depth (where the little "cavern" is) when your air is getting low, I wouldn't worry. No tides, currents and constant water temp. I'd probably walk out with 200 (or even 100) PSI just to keep moisture from entering the tank.

Jake, Bob's article is a good place to start. Your question really can't be answered with the information available, because "x psi" is a different volume of gas, depending on the tank you're talking about, and the amount of gas needed to keep in reserve varies with the proposed depth of the dive.

But it's great that you are thinking about this ahead of time!

Good point above, I meant 1000/500 with the basic Aluminum 80 cu ft, assume jakestg did too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom