Air Refill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the original post, I would assume he has done the confined portion of his OW class, and is just waiting until he can do the open water portion....and would like to practice in the meantime. If this is incorrect and you just want to practice before you take the class, I would strongly suggest you do not do that....

If this is the case, I doubt a dive shop will fill a tank for you and let you use it on your own. You may be able to get them to allow you to do more pool sessions at the dive shop....most likely supervised. But I would doubt they'll let you take their tank and just go on your own. Check with your dive shop and see if you can set something up so you get more practice time and can get more comfortable.

Here you'd just take the tanks to any dive shop and they'll fill them for you.

However trying to DIY while you're waiting for instruction is potentially dangerous so best avoided.

I see that you made the wise decision to wait a while, even pool diving can have risks and as a new diver the last thing anybody needs to be doing is getting into the habit of taking risks, let the diving progress naturally through training with a certified instructor learning not to take risks but more importantly to excercise sound judgement.

Hello guys,

I am sorry to be the one that goes against everyone here but I will only do that if the case is that he is waiting to do the open water dives. Meaning that he is done with the pool sessions. I would try a fire station and see if they fill them up for you. And one of the most important things to remember when you are in teh pool alone is to breath, breath and breath. In 6 feet of water you still have preasure afecting you and you need to remember to breath as you come up. remember you are not taking one breath and going down an up on it you are going down breathing and then comming up. make sure that there is always bubble comming out of your mouth when you are ready to come up. And if you can have someone with you in the pool even better. I did a lot of pool time while I was waiting for my OW dives. I had my own equipment and a friend that was certified so I just told him to fill the tanks for me. I was also always with someone in the pool either another diver or the wife or someone just in case I mede a stupid mistake, that someone was there to call for help. I know how you feel you are dying to get the equipment on and go in that pool and I would tell you that if you did your pool session go for it practice makes perfect. But if you haven't taken the course and you just wanna play in the water do not do it. An overexpansion injury is no joke and it could kill you. I know diving looks easy from the outside you put the reg in your mouth and breath right? wrong there is a lot more to it than that and if you do not do it right IT COULD KILL YOU!!!! So that being said

Good luck and happy diving.
CC

I have a friend who has over 20yrs of diving experience and is certified as a master/rescue diver, and he has been the force that has encouraged me and has introduced me to diving BUT he will not let me go into the water without proper training. Its been over a year and a half of waiting and I'm finally taking classes to be open water certified as we speak.

Like everything else, diving is a lot of fun and without the training it can ruin it for you with just a simple mistake. i still recommend for you to be patient and just wait until you take classes and be certified.

wish u the best of luck (^_^)
happy diving!

Look into a YMCA that offers scuba.I took my wife to the Y near us and they let her try it to see if she'ld like it.

Look into a YMCA that offers scuba.I took my wife to the Y near us and they let her try it to see if she'ld like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom