Airfare July 4 Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who post threads such as these usually have more specifications. Like, what days,, what times, etc. are important to you?

Well, that's true if you're not picky, as from Richmon VA to Cozumel starts in the $526-530 range, $650 leaving on Saturday June 29, but if you uncheck overnight itineraries, the possibilities go up. But there is more to the mystery, not knowing when she really wants to go.

It seems to be a Delta problem, and she wants to fly Delta that week. When you select Delta only, that week goes to hell. On matrix, it shows flights only on Saturdays and for $1,713 - outrageous, but there is worse.

On Delta, it's shows mostly Nope, nope, nope with some possibilities in the $1712-1716 range, one at $3,198, but mostly Nope. Many more possibilities seem to exist flying Delta to Cancun, any day from June 23 to any day in July, round-trip after 6-8 for $462 most days without overnight connections. I did not check times since you did not furnish actual preferences, but it looks much better. Delta just does not want to fly to Cozumel that week very much.

View attachment 503984

Don,
Can I hire you as my travel agent :) Seriously, you do have this down to a science - haha!

I have to fly into the polar vortex next week (not voluntary trust me), and you don't even want to know my fare - it is outrageous, but the blow was softened this morning when Delta sent me a free upgrade pass for my flight to MSP!!!

Don,
Can I hire you as my travel agent :) Seriously, you do have this down to a science - haha!

I have to fly into the polar vortex next week (not voluntary trust me), and you don't even want to know my fare - it is outrageous, but the blow was softened this morning when Delta sent me a free upgrade pass for my flight to MSP!!!
-42 C back at home right now. That is BEFORE the wind chill (taking it to -50 C or -58F.). Severe weather warnings in effect. I'm staying nice and cozy here in Cozumel, thank you VERY much.

Don,
Can I hire you as my travel agent
I've learned a few things. Let me try to help anytime, but I don't envy your travel into the blizzard field.

One thing to consider is that not all the seats on the plane sell for the same price. Not physical seats, necessarily (though some are that way), but numbers of seats. There are a certain number (decided by the airline) of cheaper seats, and tiers of more expensive ones at higher fares, and they sell the cheaper ones first. If you see a sudden increase in the fare, one of the things that may be happening is that all the seats at the fare you saw before have been sold and only the more expensive ones are available. As the time approaches for the flight, if there are still unsold seats, the airline may move some seats down into the lower tiers to make them more attractive, so you may see the fare drop in price.

Anyway, that's what a travel agent told me.

One thing to consider is that not all the seats on the plane sell for the same price. Not physical seats, necessarily (though some are that way), but numbers of seats. There are a certain number (decided by the airline) of cheaper seats, and tiers of more expensive ones at higher fares, and they sell the cheaper ones first. If you see a sudden increase in the fare, one of the things that may be happening is that all the seats at the fare you saw before have been sold and only the more expensive ones are available. As the time approaches for the flight, if there are still unsold seats, the airline may move some seats down into the lower tiers to make them more attractive, so you may see the fare drop in price.

Anyway, that's what a travel agent told me.
Sure. There may be a big group traveling together that week who bought all cheap inventory. A month before travel the airline may find they have seats to sell or lose, so they may knock prices down - except that often doesn't happen. Their control agents are better than any of us.

Another suggestion only partly related, unless you pay extra, you may well get seats in back. Get the airline's app and start checking a week prior, often, and find free chances to move up - up to an hour before flight time usually. I've improved my seating on this trip several times.

I just checked Southwest fares to Cancun. We can get Business class roundtrip for $500.00. Hard to beat that. Looks like we'll be doing the bag drag.

Flying out of Richmond is both a blessing and a curse. Small airport. Easy on/off. Security lines generally minimal. Unfortunately, no direct flights anywhere and we have to leave at 0'dark thirty.

Thanks to all for your input! Especially @DandyDon who went over and above checking schedules and prices!

I just checked Southwest fares to Cancun. We can get Business class roundtrip for $500.00. Hard to beat that. Looks like we'll be doing the bag drag.

Flying out of Richmond is both a blessing and a curse. Small airport. Easy on/off. Security lines generally minimal. Unfortunately, no direct flights anywhere and we have to leave at 0'dark thirty.

Thanks to all for your input! Especially @DandyDon who went over and above checking schedules and prices!
You're very welcome. I do better work when I know what the poster really wants, but discovering your Delta problem was an eye opener.

Chief has the contact info for a van guy who is generally great as well as cheap.

Sure. There may be a big group traveling together that week who bought all cheap inventory.
Or you may have been looking at the last cheap seat and the next day someone else bought it.

Or you may have been looking at the last cheap seat and the next day someone else bought it.
Well, I didn't find any on Delta. I've had that happen before tho, so like I search for fares, find a good one, then try to buy six seats, but can't get that many at that price.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on Southwest to Cancun. How is the boarding process? I was thinking I might go for Business class on the way down so I can get the early boarding. We always carry on our gear. Everything else gets checked. I can do the cheap fair on the way home and check our gear if there is no overhead. If my gear arrives late on the way back I don't care

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom