Airfare July 4 Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on Southwest to Cancun. How is the boarding process? I was thinking I might go for Business class on the way down so I can get the early boarding. We always carry on our gear. Everything else gets checked. I can do the cheap fair on the way home and check our gear if there is no overhead. If my gear arrives late on the way back I don't care

I often fly Southwest and it's much better to be in the "A" group or Business Select. This gives you the chance to pick a good seat and there's still plenty of room in the overheads. For an extra few bucks they have "Early Bird Check-in" which will pretty-much guarantee that you will be in the A group. In the past we have booked on SW way in advance and then cancelled our flights and re-booked when they have a sale and saved enough points for two RT tickets to Puerto Vallarta. SW has never charged us to change our flights. Often the Business Select (usually A 1-15) will be empty so the first person in line will be A16, at least on flights to CUN.

For me, the only hassle about the bag drag is finding the ADO bus the first time. If you don't follow the usual directions found online and buy your ticket at the ADO booth inside the terminal then you will get directions to the bus, and possibly someone to take your luggage to the bus for you. On our first bag drag we could not find anyone at the airport that would tell us where to find the bus. They lied and said there was no bus or no bus for three hours etc. They all had their own personal agenda for doing this. CUN is probably the only place in Mexico where I have been treated this way. At the terminal they will usually tell you if seats are assigned or to "sit anywhere" regardless of the seat number on the ticket. I'd also recommend the ADO if you haven't seen the Spider Man movie in Spanish. I'm wondering it it's the only movie they have to show :wink: It's a short walk to the ferry from the bus terminal in PDC plus you can pick up dinner at El Pechugon (I bring along an insulated bag for this) which is just a few doors up from where you get off the bus and eat when you get to you hotel/AirBnB. It is excellent rotisserie chicken. I always buy my ticket from the actual, official ferry ticket booths instead of from the many satellite ticket vendors. I have no idea if they are scams or legitimate but I've gotten great fares at the official booths. I have come to prefer Mexico WaterJets but I think they recently changed their name. On the way back (it's slightly uphill), if you have a lot of luggage you can hire a tricycle for about 50 pesos (I give them 80-100) to take your luggage to the bus terminal. The ADO buses are very nice and clean and comfortable and I think they even have a restroom but I've never verified it. When you arrive at Cozumel there will be many taxis ready to take you to where you are staying.

ljwillia, the Ado buses are nice, and James' advice is right-on, but I'd ask Chief about his van guy.

I used to be a SWA flyer back when all of the stews wore mini-skirts, long ago, but not since. I don't know when you want to go exactly, you never said I don't think, but if you want to go Saturday to Saturday, these itineraries look good with Delta flights and may be even cheaper Tuesday the way the market works. Some are code shared with Delta partner Aeromexico, but still Delta planes - and if you have Vip status with Delta, you might get upgrades on the partner flights along with FF-miles...

01.JPG 02.JPG

ljwillia, the Ado buses are nice, and James' advice is right-on, but I'd ask Chief about his van guy.

I used to be a SWA flyer back when all of the stews wore mini-skirts, long ago, but not since. I don't know when you want to go exactly, you never said I don't think, but if you want to go Saturday to Saturday, these itineraries look good with Delta flights and may be even cheaper Tuesday the way the market works. Some are code shared with Delta partner Aeromexico, but still Delta planes - and if you have Vip status with Delta, you might get upgrades on the partner flights along with FF-miles...

View attachment 504614 View attachment 504616
Wow! Thank you for your help with this. What site are you using? I've checked Delta flights and haven't found anything round trip to CUN for less than $600.00! It looks like your site gives you the option of using different carriers for different legs. I've been using Hopper, Google Flights and Kayak.

We are going Saturday to Saturday. Leaving Richmond early is not an issue. We'll need to leave CUN after 12:00 PM Saturday 6/6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom