Airport security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have travelled several times now since the whole increase in security, with a steadily increasing amount of kit on each trip and have had no problems at all.

As is normal, now I would say arrive early anyway, if only to avoid excess baggage charges.

I would never put my regs or computer in the hold, like you I wouldn't want to risk damage to my life support. Though as many have already mentioned, any tools, knives and sharp stuff is safely put in my checked in luggage.

Hope you have a great trip.

Oh I plan on having a great trip. My wifes already getting a kick out of the fact I am getting set now even though over a month away yet but want to make sure all my gear is still in good working order in case it needs servicing I can get it serviced but all is in good working order so...:mean:

Reg, computer, mask in the carryons, along with toiletries, bathing suit, and whatever clothes fit (I use them to pad the gear.) Occasionally it gets searched, usually not. My husband's camera gear gets searched a lot more often.

Everything else gets checked in large non-descript wheeled duffles with a luggage strap cinched around the middle. Fins fit fine on the bottom, and again I arrange clothes to protect the gear. I've never had anything missing or damaged. We used to use hard side luggage but found they were actually less tolerant of abuse, especially if overstuffed, and they weigh more.

I don't take weights. I can't see hauling around the extra weight, especially on flights where there's low weight limits. I have a fabric belt that zips all along the top, it's comfortable enough, and I can put in whatever soft or hard weights the dive op has.

Like several others have posted, I carry my regs, masks, and computers in my carry-on and check my dive bags.

Perhaps its merely good luck, but so far this year I've been to Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Catalina (add Cozumel next month)where I've had to have bags searched and have had no real problems. We always get to the airport -really- early, which lets TSA have lots of time to search/seal/tag our dive bags. Never any trouble with the regs.

One note. While the TSA never cares, every foreign airport I've been in has removed or confiscated (or both) my batteries. So on the way home, remove the batteries from your dive lights if you don't already. They are concerned that the lights will turn on and heat up in the hold.

Mike

What type of batteries? I know mine are always fine when traveling from Japan for standard AA batteries for my walkman which is a must on those 12 hour flights just for the transpacific part alone let alone the 5-6 hours getting to the west coast.

I've never had problems. I always carry on my computer and regulators. Security always asks about them, and if you carry them on you'll be right there to answer them.

scottish2 once bubbled...
What type of batteries? I know mine are always fine when traveling from Japan for standard AA batteries for my walkman which is a must on those 12 hour flights just for the transpacific part alone let alone the 5-6 hours getting to the west coast.

No worries for the walkmans, PC's, etc. I was referring to your dive lights. There is a concern that the lights might get turned on, overheat, and start a fire while in the hold. Not at all far fetched, as I had my small Pelican backup light do this (minus the fire) while diving in San Carlos over labor day. The light was a wreck and the reflector was blackened. Never leaves my batteries in my lights any more.

Mike

No problems then for me as I always remove my batteries when not using my light just as a precation anyways plus to prevent the batteries from ruining my light when stored for any length of time.

But leave them in the lights while traveling. It hasn't been an issue yet but I'll have to keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom