Al 80's around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossjc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all-
Looking for some used Al 80s. Not comfortable purchasing from anywhere I can't see person I am buying from, just don't know enough about tanks to take the risk. I have been looking through Recyler.com for local opportunities, any other suggestions for my search?

Not sure about up in your neck of the woods but many of the LDS here sell used tanks. worth a call to see I would think.

You could also try the marketplace forum here at Scubaboard I suppose.

rossjc:
Hi all-
Not comfortable purchasing from anywhere I can't see person I am buying from, just don't know enough about tanks to take the risk.

Personally I have no idea how seeing the person who is selling the tank is going to help you mitigate your risks buying a used cylinder. If you are that concerned, I would suggest you buy from a dive shop (new or used) and have the cylinder visually inspected to be sure there is no corrosion/etc. It's such a low ticket item, I would think shipping it would be a waste of money. Other than the visual inspection, reading someone's face isn't going to tell you anything about the inside of the tank.

A vis should run you 5-8 bucks. I'd think a diveshop would do it free if they're selling it to you... I could be wrong though.

Sean

I believe that Hollywood Divers is selling some of their used AL 80s for about $90. I believe that they are Luxfer S080 aluminums, but you'll want to contact them to be sure.

Christian

headhunter:
I believe that Hollywood Divers is selling some of their used AL 80s for about $90. I believe that they are Luxfer S080 aluminums, but you'll want to contact them to be sure.

Christian

That sounds about the same price as a new one. I personally would buy a new one unless you could get a used on for 50 bucks or so... Another thing to consider is that the AL tanks are less prone to corrosion than the steal tanks... If the Visual inspection is current (within the past 1 year) you should be fine.

divebuddysean:
That sounds about the same price as a new one. I personally would buy a new one unless you could get a used on for 50 bucks or so... Another thing to consider is that the AL tanks are less prone to corrosion than the steal tanks... If the Visual inspection is current (within the past 1 year) you should be fine.
Most of the new ones that I've seen for about that price are usually not Luxfer cylinders. I believe Sport Chalet usually has Catallina Cylinders for $109.97. Leisure Pro has a Genesis AL 80 for $124.95.

Of course, there is probably someone selling new Luxfers at close to $90 that I'm not aware of.

Christian

headhunter:
Most of the new ones that I've seen for about that price are usually not Luxfer cylinders. I believe Sport Chalet usually has Catallina Cylinders for $109.97. Leisure Pro has a Genesis AL 80 for $124.95.

Of course, there is probably someone selling new Luxfers at close to $90 that I'm not aware of.

Christian
Manufacturer & Nominal Capacity Service pressure, psi Actual air capacity, ft3 Outer diameter, in Length without valve, in Empty weight, lbs (w/o valve) Buoyancy Empty, lbs (w/valve) Buoyancy Full, lbs (w/valve)

Luxfer 80 3000 77.4 7.25 26.06 31.38 4.4 -1.4
Luxfer S80 3000 78.2 8 22.93 35.12 2.26 -3.6
Catalina S80 3000 77.4 7.25 25.8 31.6 4 -1.8
Catalina C80 3300 77.4 7.25 25.1 34.4 -0.2 -5.9

Looks to me they are all about 5 lbs difference full vs. empty. I must have the Catalina S80 since it fills to 3000 psi. My valve turns nicely, and the tank has never leaked. The dual DIN/Yoke valve looks pretty cool (don't know if Luxfer has that) but other than that it looks like an AL tank is an AL tank. My next tank is a steel 100, so my AL 80 will just become a loaner tank. It's been reliable and passed a visual just recently :)

btw I wasn't saying that was the price of a new Luxfer, just a new AL 80 tank from (your discount LDS).

Sean

divebuddysean:
Manufacturer & Nominal Capacity Service pressure, psi Actual air capacity, ft3 Outer diameter, in Length without valve, in Empty weight, lbs (w/o valve) Buoyancy Empty, lbs (w/valve) Buoyancy Full, lbs (w/valve)

Luxfer 80 3000 77.4 7.25 26.06 31.38 4.4 -1.4
Luxfer S80 3000 78.2 8 22.93 35.12 2.26 -3.6
Catalina S80 3000 77.4 7.25 25.8 31.6 4 -1.8
Catalina C80 3300 77.4 7.25 25.1 34.4 -0.2 -5.9

Looks to me they are all about 5 lbs difference full vs. empty. I must have the Catalina S80 since it fills to 3000 psi. My valve turns nicely, and the tank has never leaked. The dual DIN/Yoke valve looks pretty cool (don't know if Luxfer has that) but other than that it looks like an AL tank is an AL tank. My next tank is a steel 100, so my AL 80 will just become a loaner tank. It's been reliable and passed a visual just recently :)

btw I wasn't saying that was the price of a new Luxfer, just a new AL 80 tank from (your discount LDS).

Sean
If someone just wants an inexpensive tank, I'm sure any of those will fit the bill. I'm sure that they would all work reliably and safely.

The buoyancy characteristics of a Luxfer S80 make it a popular choice for use as a stage bottle because of the way it rides in your slipstream when you sling it. So, if someone plans on moving to a steel tank later, the old tank can become a nice stage bottle if one decides to move in that direction.

Maybe you can sell him yours! :D

Christian

Back
Top Bottom