Al 80's around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin:
You may want to find out when Sports Chalet is going to have their 25% off sale on all of their scuba equipment. It is a very very good time to pick up tanks.
I don't think they gove the 25% off on the tanks anymore. They did accidentally, until they realized how big a loss they were doing to themselves.

They aren't evil persay, but I worked for them and it wasn't very fun, except the discounts. They were very fun :eyebrow:

I have never had anyone tell me that the 25% off all dive equipment did not apply to their tanks. I bought 3 tanks different years that way. One was a PST120. It did not seem like an accident (2 different stores).

It is amazing how much money they lose..... but I guess being so large they can afford the hits.

Evil being mentioned as I think they are a tough hurdle for the LDS owners, trying to make a living.

I have a U.S. Divers AL74 that someone gave me. I don't know what condition it's in but if you want to have it looked at it's yours for nothing more than meeting me to pick it up. I think it is a DIN valve. It has a plastic wing attachment on it that can be removed.

scottfiji:
I have no problem buying from Sports Chalet. They have good prices, great hours, and good locations. I've never felt anything "evil" about them.

My LDS doesn't even try to compete with Sports Chalet on tanks; they told me to buy them there...

Scott
I firmly believe in supporting my local dive shop (LDS) and I buy all my stuff there.

Distance to LDS 1.2 miles, name of LDS Sports Chalet
Closest competitor 3.5 miles past SC and I have found that shop to be cluttered, and unfriendly and not price competitive.

SC AL80 tanks on sale are $99.97 new

rossjc:
Hi all-
Looking for some used Al 80s. Not comfortable purchasing from anywhere I can't see person I am buying from, just don't know enough about tanks to take the risk. I have been looking through Recyler.com for local opportunities, any other suggestions for my search?

I know of one (or ha might have two) for sale in Redondo Beach. But hill want something like $80 for them. You can buy therm new for about $110 Do yu really want to work so hard to save $30? If you want PM me and I'll give you the seler's email.

pasley:
Closest competitor 3.5 miles past SC and I have found that shop to be cluttered, and unfriendly and not price competitive.
But .... sometimes there are interesting nuggets of dive lore in those cluttered places if you hang around long enough. Personally I like to spend money first at the little local shop, even if it isn't matching the bigger chain guys on price.

Just so someone doesn't go out and buy the wrong tank, it's actually the "S080" that you are referring to as the good Luxfer tank for use as a stage.

headhunter:
The buoyancy characteristics of a Luxfer S80 make it a popular choice for use as a stage bottle because of the way it rides in your slipstream when you sling it. So, if someone plans on moving to a steel tank later, the old tank can become a nice stage bottle if one decides to move in that direction.

Maybe you can sell him yours! :D

Christian

Dan Gibson:
Just so someone doesn't go out and buy the wrong tank, it's actually the "S080" that you are referring to as the good Luxfer tank for use as a stage.
That's correct. Thanks for the clarification.

It's the tank that goes from -1.40 to +4.40.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that many of these were stamped S80 intstead of S080 on the cylinder. My Luxfers are stamped S80 but Luxfer does not list these on their site. Am I right on this or do I actually have a different tank with different characteristics?

Christian

Frank O:
But .... sometimes there are interesting nuggets of dive lore in those cluttered places if you hang around long enough. Personally I like to spend money first at the little local shop, even if it isn't matching the bigger chain guys on price.
I hear you FrankO and I agree. If the little guy offers me a reason to shop there, I will pay a little bit more, but not a lot more.

I actually made the effort and drove past the SC just a mile from my home and went the extra distance (which takes about 15 minutes to drive) to get to little guy dive shop to give him my business. Crowded, dusty, cluttered, and just not appealing with help that was not really interested in waiting on me as a customer. I mean I don’t like pushy sales clerks, but that low key is not good either. Dive shop did not seem interested in earning my business either. SC on the other hand, in addition to having better pricing always made me feel at home, and has a neat, clean store and wanted my business. I have been to the little guy shop 3 times to give him the benefit of the doubt (maybe a bad day etc). But price aside, he gave me no reason to drive past Sports Chalet and go the extra distance to give him my business.

SC was a small store here in SoCal once, they just hit upon a good marketing strategy and expanded. My local SC has certified divers working in the dive shop and give me fair service for a fair price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom