AL/Apeks deal on regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Being a new to the sport and having totally enjoyed my first experience at class, (plus the fact I've always wanted to do this) I was looking at the deal with the free octo from AL-Apeks. I'm sure my LDs where I'm taking my classes with help but wanted some opinions beforehand on what model/type of reg I would need being a beginner.

I living in NJ by the Delaware River and expect to dive locally there, some lakes and quarries and probably along the shore. I also go to the caribbean around 3-4 times a year and will be diving there as soon as I pass (hopefully..and no clue to where atm). So I thought I would take advantage of the deal before the 31st, which also is my last day of class. :) Any opinions and advice is more than appreciated!

-rhyz

All I can say is I placed an order for an XTX200 today at my LDS . He said I should have it by next Friday but may be a few days longer before the free Egress octo comes in. For the money the Aeris Atmos Pro is one of the better deals from what I've read. I talked with a guy the other day that has an Atmos Pro and he loves it. Scubatoys has them one sale for $279.

Yeah I haven't checked the prices on any of the AL/Apeks yet, so dont know how comparable the deal is to any other brand. Also have been looking some reg packages. Especially on Scubatoys and they do have some nice ones there. But once again being new to the sport and not knowing what I'll need to begin with (and future needs) its all "window shopping" at the moment.

I own an A/L Legend and an Apeks ATX50. I do similar types of diving like you. Both regs have been solid. Nothing fancy and breathe sweet. I have ABS octos on both and given another shot might consider upgrading the octos.

If you plan to go to a drysuit and extend your local season in colder water (<50 deg F), then you probably should look at the cold water aspects of the regs a little closer while you are shopping. I'm still diving wet myself.

Just curious...I'm originally from South Jersey and now live in Maryland just across the Delaware line. Where are you diving locally?

By the way, welcome to the board.

Well I live in Trenton, and right across 29 is the river, with alot of slow moving stretches around me. Still in class, so I haven't dived yet, and as of yet only know the people in my dive class. July 29/30 will be my OW dives and hopefully from there I will be certified.

I plan on doing some local dives around here with the LDS then plan on going to the caribbean sometime in August, where I dont know...more reading. But would like to do Key West, Cozumel or the Caymans. I've been to each a cple of times in the last few years.

Then in October I'm off to San Jaun for 2 days before boarding a cruise to St Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, and Aruba, then back to San Jaun for 2 days before coming home. So I definitley want to dive in some of those locations.

Most likely later on I will invest in a dry suit, as you said to extend my season, but that will have to wait after I see how much I'm going to spend on equipment I need now. At the moment I've only gotten my fins, mask, snorkle and boots. Wetsuit will probably be bought before class on Tuesday as I did get chilly in the pool (which was around 78 at the time)..LOL So we'll see.....:)

-rhyz

I dive exclusively in the NW. Water gets down to 52*F. After talking with shop owners, employees, reg technicians and my instructor I picked up a TX50/egress package. Here&#8217;s what I can tell ya:

Regs:
The 50 is the same as the 100 is the same as the 200. This goes for the XTX, ATX and TX series. They are the same reg mechanically the only difference is the 100 is smaller/lighter then the 50 and the 200 is smaller/lighter then the 100. But not by much (a couple oz. at best). As for the difference between the three; the TX is a workhorse and the first to be produced. The ATX is the same but smaller and a little cooler looking, and added a swivel to the 50 1st stage. The XTX adds notched breathing control rather then smooth, the ability to mount a hose on the left side of the reg and swappable exhaust ports (which no one I know of has had a reason to do). The XTX is also a little sexier looking.

The X/A/TX20 is a warm water reg and the 40 is, to my understanding, a 50 without the breathing control. Again; same X/A/TX relationship as above.

Advice:
I was originally going to get an XTX50/XTX40 setup but I found I could save a few bucks and still get the same reg with the TX50. Crazy huh? My original logic was that the XTX50 had the breathing control I wanted and the XTX40 was cold-resistant but breathed better then an egress (a plus in stressful situations that I&#8217;d be using it in). I went with the egress because I&#8217;m on the prowl for a drysuit, and there&#8217;s really nothing wrong with it. It&#8217;s in fact much better then the other octos I&#8217;ve tried. At the moment I might upgrade the setup to an XTX50 primary and leave the TX50 as an octo around Christmas. Or maybe just slap on an X/ATX 40 and call it good since they&#8217;re smaller then the TX50 and would be less obtrusive hanging on my necklace. We&#8217;ll see.

I bought the TX50 because it had a low price tag compared to the X/A/TX100/200 and X/ATX50 (though be aware at my shop the XTX and ATX are the same price and the X/ATX50 is only $40 more then the TX50) but will still allow me to get into tech diving should I miraculously (college isn't cheap) obtain the money for more advanced classes. My other option was a Legend but I like the Apex philosophy and business model. So if you're like me and don't mind the low bling factor the TXs are just as good mechanically as the X/ATX.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Laivindil, yopu made that alot clearer on the model types, and yes I know college isn't cheap. I have a 18yr son starting this fall...:) As for the bling factor...couldn't care less about it at this stage I just want to get some good equipment to start of right with and hopefully doesn't blow my budget out of the roof. :)

-rhyz

rhyz:
Thanks Laivindil, yopu made that alot clearer on the model types, and yes I know college isn't cheap. I have a 18yr son starting this fall...:) As for the bling factor...couldn't care less about it at this stage I just want to get some good equipment to start of right with and hopefully doesn't blow my budget out of the roof. :)

-rhyz

Then the TX50 will suit you just fine. I checked the prices (at my shop, yours might be different) and it's right between the X/ATX50 and X/ATX40. It'll also last you a long time. On the order of "omg-I-never-have-to-buy-another-reg-ever".

That was also a big selling point for me :wink:

I also dug out my apex catalog (.pdf from aqualung) and I was right; they are being manufactured still, and marketed to tech divers. I think they like the lower price point too so they can buy several and put them on a bunch of tanks for deco :wink:

Encourage your son to join a scuba club at his school. Diving with people his age is one of the best ways to introduce new (younger) divers. That is if he's interested. I admit I'm more then a little hooked. I'm reduced to creating one at the tiny community college I'm at. Can't wait to get to the UW.

Sounds good, will be talking to the DM at my LDS on Tuesday, or tomorrow if I got in for a wetsuit fitting. either way I thank you for your time in explaining the differences. As I would rather get one that I don't have to worry about for a cple yrs, I got to much else to get at the moment. Not sure if the son would be up for it, doesn't really like the water to much, must get that from his mother...:(

I ended getting in on the Apex Reg / Free Octo at my LDS. Im not sure how much longer the deal is going to be around for. I got the XTX200 w/ the Egress and I love it. The reason I ended up getting the XTX over the XT, or ATX is that I wanted the option of being able to switch hose's from left or right hand side. Even though the XTX100 is almost identical (the secondary’s are except for the decal), I really liked to chrome finish of the 200 (yes the bling got me). Since Im in the NE, Im going to need an additional reg on my pony, so Im going to pick up ATX100.

Back
Top Bottom