AL Boom Divemaster offer!! what do you guys think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corleone

Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't know how to ask this question or where to begin with but, few days ago, al boom made an offer for a divermaster + search & recovery + deep diver for AED 2990 ex certification fee and educational material ?

what do you guys think? I guess, out of this package, I'm sure going to learn a lot!! so, is this package any good? what are the costs of certification and material anyway?

The e-learning for DiveMaster is 150 pounds, the other courses are usually a LITTLE cheaper, so probably around 2-3k extra for all the other bits and pieces. Give them a call and ask them for the full price to confirm, but expect around 6000 AED all told.

What do you want to achieve from these courses? If you want to become a dive professional then a PADI DM course is a good start but if you just want to become a better diver, there are some more cost effective ways to get that done. For example, a Deep speciality and Nitrox can be done for around 2k all inclusive, a little less if you are flexible on timings.

If you want the skills but don't need a card then some mentoring may be better for you, for example a Peak Performance Buoyancy course adds some valuable skills but the card will never leave your wallet. There are some dive groups out here that will be happy to mentor you on some fun dives.

There are also some other, quicker and cheaper courses that will change your diving dramatically for the better. Feel free to PM me if you want some more info or we can keep on thread, as you like.

As RainPilot says, if you are planning to go on the professional path then perhaps the DM course is good for you, but if not, and you want to enjoy diving for your one pleasure, then I would be looking at doing some other skills, PPB as already mentioned if you think your buoyancy skills are not up to scratch.

Nothing wrong with having a dive with an instructor or experienced diver friend to evaluate your skills and give feedback.

I called them, the total cost with the material and the certification is around AED 4355 plus 87 pound for application (online). as for the duration, it all depends on the time allocated so, between 1-2 month and maybe up to three months.

I don't really want to achive anything with being a divemaster, for example, I don't want to work in a dive center. the goal here is to improve my diving skills and learn few things I mean, being able to prepare for a certan dive from the instructor/divemaster point of view is a skill I would like to learn!! unfortunately, there is like-a-stigma of being a divemaster and not work in a dive center. I think, that's why I'm hesitating.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but I alwayse feel the urge to to learn new stuff when it comes to diving, for example, rebreathers, multi-staging and freediving are all in my list.

I called them, the total cost with the material and the certification is around AED 4355 plus 87 pound for application (online). as for the duration, it all depends on the time allocated so, between 1-2 month and maybe up to three months.

I don't really want to achive anything with being a divemaster, for example, I don't want to work in a dive center. the goal here is to improve my diving skills and learn few things I mean, being able to prepare for a certan dive from the instructor/divemaster point of view is a skill I would like to learn!! unfortunately, there is like-a-stigma of being a divemaster and not work in a dive center. I think, that's why I'm hesitating.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but I always feel the urge to to learn new stuff when it comes to diving, for example, rebreathers, multi-staging and freediving are all in my list.
For that amount of money you should be able to take a Florida vacation and train GUE, say the fundies class, while you're there. If you're all up into that work towards their technical certifications such as caving, sidemount, etc. GUE will flat out teach you the stuff to be a better diver and if you outgrow GUE training there's always NASA and learn to do an EVA at the ISS, lol.

Sign me up for NASA! Not that Ive outgrown GUE, just want to go to space..@Corleone I suspect we are similar in the way of wanting to go that a little bit further in everything we do. part of why I dive rebreather, free dive etc and am doing my first trimix course next month.

If you drop me a PM Im happy to chat with you about your goals and help you develop a training path to get there with minimum cost and "padding" that all the agencies end up adding.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but I alwayse feel the urge to to learn new stuff when it comes to diving, for example, rebreathers, multi-staging and freediving are all in my list.

You don't have to be a DM to do any of these things, however I would suggest that you start looking at a Rescue course next, and look outside of PADI too, there are other agencies around.

One thing we don't know here is how many dives have your done so far, it's good to get experience outside of doing courses especially if you are heading in a tech direction.

For that amount of money you should be able to take a Florida vacation and train GUE, say the fundies class, while you're there. If you're all up into that work towards their technical certifications such as caving, sidemount, etc. GUE will flat out teach you the stuff to be a better diver and if you outgrow GUE training there's always NASA and learn to do an EVA at the ISS, lol.

All that for about $1200? Including airfare and hotels? Interesting.

Divemaster is a paradigm shift in a recreational diver's career...but only if they want to go Pro. The PADI DM course is a cluster of different tasks and workshops. You will cover such topics as Dive Theory, Physiology, Equipment, Diver Safety, Assisting An Instructor, Guiding, and others. While the workshops will suffice I highly recommend taking the Search & Recovery and the Deep specialties, along with Wreck, EAN and UW Navigation. All these courses have skills, IMHO, needed by ALL Divemasters.

If you are only looking at Al Boom for price/cost considerations you might be entering this program with blinders on. What is the quality of the instruction? Do you plan to work with them afterwards? Do they have any true intentions of hiring you afterwards? There are as many reasons why a diver could choose one DM trainer over another...only you can decide. I would list you goals and the objectives you need to accomplish in order to meet those goals. Than ask your self if Al Booms can do this. Personally I like the idea that they will throw in Deep and Search & Recovery...I do the same but also offer Wreck, those are very useful skills in our location. I would also ask how much of Al Boom's DM is going to be taught in the Dubai area, the Aquarium and in Fujarah; all have very unique and different environments and tactics how to handle students and tourist divers?

Then on the other hand if you do not have the desire to go Pro, I think you time and money would be better well spent on taking courses that will either make you a better diver or offer a better dive experience...and most courses will do both. I suggest courses like Deep, Searc & Recovery, Wreck, DPV, EAN, Photography, Videography. Then look at advance training, like Advanced EAN, Decompression Diving, Advance Buoyancy (GUE Fundies or similar) and Mixed Gases.

Good luck on what ever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom