AL dimension vs BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm very new to diving, can't believe I took so long, any way, I'm starting to purchase gear and I do have a budget. I'm currently looking at the Aqua Lung Dimension or a BP/W. I've read enough on the forums to understand the pros and cons to an extent. I will be diving Midwest quarries most of the time with a 7mm wet suit and then 1 week a year in the tropics maybe in a 3mm shorty or just shorts and a rash guard. My question is, is there a bp/w that can do both with out having multiple wings or would a back inflate bcd be an easier joice. Also I don't plan to go into tech or dry suits, my wife hates cold water.

Yes, as far as i know all BP/W setups can do both.

You need a different wing if you go to doubles.

I dive dry at home, and a 2mm full wetsuite in tropic dives, and i use an Agir SS BP with an Agir Blackbird wing for both.

Might as well throw this in as well. I'm looking at apeks atx40 or dive rite xt regs, any reason to choose one over the other, they seem pretty equal.

a 30lb wing and ss plate is good for both cold water diving on steel tanks and warm water diving with al80s. only downside is the ss plate is extra weight in your luggage.

Might as well throw this in as well. I'm looking at apeks atx40 or dive rite xt regs, any reason to choose one over the other, they seem pretty equal.

the short exhaust tee on the atx series is a little annoying. apeks pricing also is not great in the US when compared to europe. both are reliable and well performing though. you should drive over to plainfield and visit Dive Right in Scuba.

Other than being unsuitable for open water instruction outside of tec/RAID systems, I'm not sure if I can think of any drawbacks to wings. BP/W are the king when it comes to versatility. Some back-inflates are more comfortable in some specific circumstances, but limited to a narrow range of diving scenarios.

AL i3's 7.4 lbs is about average weight for a BP/W system. To minimize weight, you can use a steel BP with cutouts or an aluminum one.

Hah! You’re just down the road from Haigh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom