Alberta diving in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtown7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm heading out to Alberta on holiday. It may be a bizarre request, but is there any type of diving that's worth doing next month? I'm flying into Calgary, heading up to Alberta, and then back. Side trips are always an option!

The Alberta official travel guide doesn't really mention much, and I've heard that you can dive the mall's tank but I heard that it's quite costly.

The cold doesn't really bother me too much - I was out on a night dive this past thursday in a wet suit and the water was 0 celcius. Fine by me!

Opinions/suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

vtown7

When you say that you are flying into Calgary and then going Up to Alberta...I'm going to assume you mean Edmonton. (They are both in Alberta).

April diving...well....some people will be doing some ice diving.

The tank in West Edmonton Mall is $75 if you have your own equip, $100 if you need to rent. Way too expensive. Your a couple of months early for diving.

I did mean up to Edmonton... whoops!

And yes I agree with you... $75 is a bit too much for tank diving I think. At least on a student budget!

Thanks though for your help.

Cheers,

vtown7

Although in the other direction (south) from Calgary by about a 3 hour drive. I just dove Waterton Lakes 2 days ago with a bit of slush on the windblown side otherwise clear of ice. Temp 36F, vis about 30ft.
Waterton Lakes is a national park in the rockies much like Banff but far less travelled by tourists - very pretty. The diving itself is great for Alberta. Multiple dive sites often with shelters availible for gearing up right at the sites. The sites are varied with a deep wall at one, a shallow wreck of a stern wheeler at another, a basin of old artifacts in a mud bottom and more.
If you're going late next month Lake Minnewanka in Banff will probably be open and is only 1hr drive west of Calgary. There is an old dam site that can be explored there.
If you don't have alot of time do Banff but if you have an extra day or 2 try to do Wateron.
Let me know if you need more info

mark

Just dove Lake Minnewanka out of Banff this past weekend. I was part of a class getting certified for ice diving and altitude diving. What a blast. First experience under the ice. But the instructors who had the tent setup took it down as this was teh last weekend they plan on being out there for ice diving this year.

Well, I did 9 dives this past weekend, and my hands didn't get cold once. Drygloves are a permanent addition to my gear. It's funny, everyone thinks icediving is so crazy, it's actually amazingly simple with trained people who know what they're doing and responsible divers. We had a blast.

Oh did I mention everyone went for a Polar Bear swim after we were done on sunday? Now that is what I call cold.

bcsean:
Oh did I mention everyone went for a Polar Bear swim after we were done on sunday? Now that is what I call cold.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom