Aldora Divers Review: Two Tank Solo New Diver Experience Coming off a Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suit yourself, but did you read Christi's carefully constructed and comprehensive response? Some people seem to think that they can just order up any dive environment they want with no regard to what else is going on with their op du jour.

No op gets it right 100% of the time

He gave advanced notice for both situations. Okay, so sh*t happens. OP @DevilEyeDog was disappointed (which is okay, a normal reaction) about not getting a private DM and went with it because what can you do about it, right? He was not demanding an apology or any compensation though an oops, sorry we messed up or sorry it did not work out would have been nice. He gave them feedback via email. Some form of acknowledgement instead of no reply at all for 2 weeks until he posted here. He still enjoyed everything else about his experience with Aldora and came home still recommending the op.

....until the owner came along here. A simple, sorry it didn’t work out (we are not even talking about accepting blame or accountability here), I’m glad you still enjoyed your time with us, thank you for the otherwise positive review, please come again, we will ensure we get it right next time would have been very, very sufficient. Even some excuse of why they didn’t respond for 2 weeks would have been good like accidentally deleted your mail, didn’t see it, stuck in outbox....make something up to make the customer feel better.

If I were the business owner, given how public it had become, I would have even gone above and beyond. I would have offered a 1 or 2 tank dive on the house or a private DM for their next visit if we would have the honor to have them again. I would imagine those that already love my dive shop would find even more reason to keep diving with us and for those that have never heard or used us to consider using us in the future. I do not blame Dave for not doing this and don’t think it was required. Again, just what I would have done. It’s a small gesture that doesn’t affect bottom line in the long run given how much potential business could come in the long run - think of it like marketing dollars! :)

Last edited:
Suit yourself, but did you read Christi's carefully constructed and comprehensive response? Some people seem to think that they can just order up any dive environment they want with no regard to what else is going on with their op du jour.
The Op did not think they could just "order up any dive environment they want with no regard to what else is going on with their op du jour"! They very clearly booked specific dives/resources well in advance and confirmed with Aldora on multiple occasions.

As far as I can see, Aldora completely dropped the ball on this and I'd be pissed off as well. Of course, sh_t happens - but how it's handled says alot! The Op did not try to vilify Aldora - he just pointed out his disappointment and highlighted an area where they could improve . Dave should have just apologized and taken it as a learning experience to do better next time. Bad customer can't be brushed under the rug in this internet era - so best to fess up, address it and move on!

IMO, main difference between this and Anita thread is that Dave thinks his dive op has done nothing wrong. In Anita's case, owner apologized (although it took some nudges to do so). Another difference,I'm on OP side in this one.
Post #2 from Dave..."I am very sorry your expectations were not met...."

Yeah, but original post was a little bit different.

Edited to add: I'm not the only one with this sentiment, you can just read posts after the post quoted by you. In Anita thread,if I understood correctly, owner was not initially aware of problem. As soon as he realized, he apologized. Dave tried to blame it on customer first, and then reversed his stance after it backfired. (edited on Tuesday)
Then, again tried to stick it on customer for "surprise" discovery scuba.
"If you request one and we confirm it you will have a private DM--unless you bring another surprise person along who wants to do a discover scuba…then you have to make your choice." (posted on Wednesday)
Only it was booked in advance.

I really don't think that Aldora is bad dive op or that Dave don't care about his customers, but as for credits, reproach where reproach is due.

Last edited:

Who are you kidding? This is exactly what’s wrong in this world, entitlement and no personal responsibility.

Daves “apology” was negated by the entire content and condescending tone of the post. His entire post is nothing but excuses and shaming the customer. He doesn’t take responsibility or offer a sincere apology.

A sincere apology has 3 components: taking responsibility for the mistake, an apology with NO “but”, and an offer to make it right. Most often making it right doesn’t require anything more than some common decency and a simple acknowledgement and apology. Not a list of excuses that include blaming the other person.

+ 1 to customers lost Aldora (actually 5+ because we are a family of 5 divers plus a bunch of dive travel friends). Not because of the initial issue, yeh, stuff happens, but because of the way Dave mishandled this customer feedback and his overall arrogance displayed time and time again here. And you did lose us Dave, we dove with you several years back. We had some issues then but were considering giving your shop another try because we loved Liang, not now. We’ll be diving with another shop on future trips.

I see a 6' x 3' x 10' deep grave waiting for this tread. Someone out there must have a new topic to start a new thread and let this one rest in peace.

Nah, this thread has ZOMBIE written all over it! But I agree it's annoying how it's sucking the oxygen away from the 'Cozumel I.E.D explosions' and 'fire bombing' threads.

Last edited:
The Op did not think they could just "order up any dive environment they want with no regard to what else is going on with their op du jour"! They very clearly booked specific dives/resources well in advance and confirmed with Aldora on multiple occasions.

As far as I can see, Aldora completely dropped the ball on this and I'd be pissed off as well. Of course, sh_t happens - but how it's handled says alot! The Op did not try to vilify Aldora - he just pointed out his disappointment and highlighted an area where they could improve . Dave should have just apologized and taken it as a learning experience to do better next time. Bad customer can't be brushed under the rug in this internet era - so best to fess up, address it and move on!
As I said, I do not presume to stand in judgement for or against either side because I only know what I have read in here, which is only part of the totality of what happened. I don't know Dave or the OP, and I have never dived with Aldora. I can see that there are bystanders throwing gasoline on the fire from both sides, but I guess that's typical for an internet forum.

Personally, I believe it is past time to drag this equine corpse off the road and give it a decent burial.

Daves “apology” was negated by the entire content and condescending tone of the post. His entire post is nothing but excuses and shaming the customer. He doesn’t take responsibility or offer a sincere apology.

A sincere apology has 3 components: taking responsibility for the mistake, an apology with NO “but”, and an offer to make it right. Most often making it right doesn’t require anything more than some common decency and a simple acknowledgement and apology. Not a list of excuses that include blaming the other person.

Spot on. You nailed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom