Alien from another world...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol....Every time I call my 80 year old mother she starts the conversation with "what have you been doing, Diving?" My usual answer: "diving and working"

Rickster:
My usual answer: "diving and working"

At least you have those two in the correct order. :D

I have a long and distinguished list of subjects that cause eyes to glaze over:

Architecture - "Have you ever considered the ramifications of the use of plan libre and open space versus the more defining, yet confining aspects of raumplan?"

Music - "Vox amps are class A, so you really get about twice the power that you do from a similarly sized AB amp. And they are so responsive..."

Volleyball - "The attack all starts with the passing. Without that you've got squat. If the passes are too high, it allows the block to form. Too low and the setter can't get there in time to get a good set..."

Flyfishing - "You don't have to get up in the middle of the night to fish the San Juan. The water doesn't really warm up enough for the bugs to be active until about mid-morning. You can usually sleep in, grab breakfast and be on the river by 9:30 or so..."

Diving - "No, you're not SUPPOSED to hold your breath, and the most of the sharks aren't really that interested in you anyway. And the jellyfish don't actively pursue you."

Any one of these can send them diving for cover. Feel free to use them when trying to get rid of someone at your next party encounter.

Well, over the last twenty years, my circle of friends has narrowed to include almost all horse people, because they were the only people who could tolerate listening to the minutiae of dressage ad nauseam. Now my horsy friends are trying to cope with non-stop diving . . . Guess I need to make some more friends.

Kevfin:
Those that are interested will seek you out and pick your brains like a Zombie at sundown.
LOVE IT! I will be using this early and often :D ... Thanks Kevin!
Claudette

Whew! I sympathize. I think my co-workers are often ready to kill me, though they actually do like looking at the weirder pictures. I need some shark pix though; they're impressed enough about the extreme close up of the jellyfish and the shot of my dive buddy two inches from one. "Weren't you scared! Can't they kill you?" "Egg yolk jellies? No." It's a frequent topic because otherwise people would simply think I was hungover on a Monday morning. Heh.

I'm good at eye glazing subjects. I'm interested in just about everything, thus possess a wide range of topics through which I can bore people into a coma. Horses, ice skating, anthropology, biology, diving... I can even bore many of the divers with marine biology.

And since channel surfing ended up with a four hour commitment to watching a Blue Planet marathon, I've collected even more tidbits to ruin a polite conversation. Mwa ha ha ha.

It almost seems like many people have a hard time relating to others being enthusiastic about something.

It happens with diving, though some are sincerely interested.

It happened with collecting snowblowers, though I have a following .....
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

And it even happened even camping though I hear from many families.....
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/camping.html

I don't think it's as unique to diving as we sometimes feel. Kind of like TSandM said. I think that I've noticed that those who are active in something passionately, no matter what can relate. Others just can't comprehend passion.

Back
Top Bottom