Alien from another world...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was my first holiday season as a diver. It was really weird - like I was some alien from another world. I was trying to talk to people at cocktail parties and it was kind of like this:

Other Person: Well, Judy and I are going to Alaska this summer.
Me: That sounds fun. *thinking about diving*
Other Person: Yes it will be, yada yada blah blah..
Me: Sounds like fun. *thinking about diving*
Other Person: What have you been up to?
Me: This morning I was diving a wreck off the coast of San Diego.
Other Person: You were what?
Me: SCUBA diving. I was underwater.
Other Person: *Blank stare* Huh!.... Did I tell you Judy and I are going to Alaska?

It went like that over and over. All I could think about was my last dive and my next dive - and the only people I could really relate to were other divers. I really made some enthusiastics attempts to engage others in conversation and they just stared at me like they didn't get it. It was an interesting experience...

Just wondering if anyone else had this experience too...

wetrat:
I was trying to talk to people at cocktail parties ...
Don't worry. By year 2 they stop inviting you. Especially after you offer to show them your pictures of some nice nudis. :D

Not over the holidays, but the people I work with are beginning to have their eyes glaze over when they realize they have said yet again something which has sent me off on a scuba-related tangent.

It was amusing to inflict a video clip of me diving on one of my nurses, and have her say, "Did you put those sound effects in there?" And I said, "No, those are my bubbles. They make that sound." And she said, "Oh, I always thought that noise was a special effect in the movies. You mean it really SOUNDS like that?"

Rick Inman:
Don't worry. By year 2 they stop inviting you. Especially after you offer to show them your pictures of some nice nudis. :D

They stop inviting you then you have more free time for diving :D

Just have a handy dive related book or DVD to help with the withdrawal symptoms...

I always have the Blue Planet series in my Van so I can put that on for my passengers (in-laws usually)... Athough the new California Diving Video has been show also a couple of times :wink:

Stopping to get gasoline in N. Idaho after the dive, and not wanting to take off my drysuit until I get home due to the cold air, the clerk looks at my wet drysuit and says:

Clerk: "What's that you got on?"

Me: "It's a drysuit. I've been scuba diving."

Long pause. He just looks at me.

More pause.

Clerk: "Been what?"

Me: "Scuba diving. Over in the lake."

Clerk looks at me some more, then outside. It's dark. It's snowing pretty good.

Clerk: "Been what?"

Me (slowly): "Scuba...diving... Underwater, ya' know?"

Really long pause.

Clerk: "Why?"

I explain the joys and adventure of winter diving in Idaho.

Clerk: "That'll be ten dollars. You're dripping on my floor."

Or in the singles world, I meet a lady who says: "I like walks on the beach."

Me: "Walking a beach is like looking at a circus tent. I like to go down below with the fishes and turtles and odd looking animals."

Her: "Oh my..."

Me: "Here, I have my laptop - let me show you a few hundred pics." :laughing:

Yeah, I run off a lot of them that way. But then, I did that to one in June, and she's since got her OW card and a nice kit. She was on track for Nitrox, Aow, and a Florida Keys trip last month until a surprise Leukemia diagnosis hit, but it was caught early and we hope to see her in the water again very soon. :thumb:

I try to be able to talk about things other than scuba (or by extension uw photo)...but...

my nephew & his gf are here at the moment and before they came they said "we want to dive the whole time we are there". Been here over a week and I think they have maybe 5 dives and maybe 2 hours of bottom time...I did twice that bottom time on Sunday alone (with friends who dive instead of family!)

Nephew said "have you always been this passionate"...I said, "yeah and it's getting worse!" LOL

Everyone else is a alien, we are the normal ones.

Only aliens would lock themselves out of 78% of their environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom