Alien from another world...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm the same way, Spectrum. I'm a very passionate person, and if I'm involved with something, it's all-consuming. I never do anything half-heartedly or just dabble in things. In for a penny, in for a pound, where angels fear to tread, ad infinitum... LOL! I wouldn't have it any other way, either! :)

It's like that with any hobby/mental illness.

skiing
motocross
golf

try a conversation with a serious deciple of any of these.

We have a diver who collects pinball machines. Get him fired up about sequincing servos....

Happens whenever you get into something that the rest of the world has no experience with. No personal references. Maybe the odd TV spot. Most people can at least relate when I tell someone that I play in 5 bands. They played an instrument in high school or their sister did or they are passionate about some kind of music. So we can have a conversation. However if I were to start into the esoterica of clarinets and why I own 9 of them and what the differences are, the differences in tone colour between a gold ligature and silver one and the eyes start to glaze over really really fast. (Quick look in the mirror - note the start of glaze. :D ) Diving however for most people is just outside of thier experience so they can't relate - nothing to compare it to.

TSandM:
It was amusing to inflict a video clip of me diving on one of my nurses,...

Is Nurse Diving a PADI certification? If so I may have to look into switching to PADI.:D

Joe

It's funny, though, how many people say, when they find out I've learned to dive, "Oh, I always thought that would be fun. Was it hard?" And I've been STUNNED to find out how many people I know are certified divers . . . who don't dive at all. Some never did. Took their certification dives and never dove again. Now THAT'S weird.

TSandM:
It's funny, though, how many people say, when they find out I've learned to dive, "Oh, I always thought that would be fun. Was it hard?" And I've been STUNNED to find out how many people I know are certified divers . . . who don't dive at all. Some never did. Took their certification dives and never dove again. Now THAT'S weird.

I just met a guy like that. got hiw padi OW cert about 5 years ago and never dove again. i think i have finally convinced him to take a refresher and get out diving. i couldnt understand how he got certified and never hit the water again. that's just weird. :D

I don't find it weird at all. Got certified in 78, dove for five or so years and then two things happened. First I had a career that took ALL my time. Second the rewards of cold water diving in a wet suit just were not enough to compensate for the sheer amount of work it takes to get 30 minutes bottom time. It was pretty easy to let it go - just dive warm on vacation. Then you're supposed to be relaxing and taking 4 hours out of a day to cruse on a sunny day on a boat out to a reef to get a dive or two seems worth it.

I am still working out whether it is worth it even diving dry. On Sunday was 6 hours in total travel and SI to get 75 min. of bottom time on a site that while interesting is not spectacular. And then once you get back another half an hour or so cleaning gear so you have pretty much killed an entire day for 70 minutes of fun.

At the moment I am thinking of it as practice so that I can do more liveaboards and more challenging dives a little further afield. There are some pretty spectacular dives just a little further away. I am thinking Barkley Sound, Race Rocks, Porlier Pass, Nanaimo, Northern Vancouver Island. (There may also be great dives around Vancouver, I just haven't seen them yet. - no flames please I just got back from the GBR, learned to dive in Victoria while owning my own boat to take me to dive sites - Vancouver just doesn't cut it when compared to that. It may be ok, but not in comparison.)

When I was working flat out I simply did not have the time to take an entire weekend to dive. Other parts of my life were more important.

I have talked to a lot of people who only dove for a short while. Always wanted to dive, thought it was a really interesting thing to do, but when they found out a, how much work it is, and b, how cold it is, they determine that the rewards are just not worth it to dive around here.

Now that I am trying to wind down my participation in a business I have more time to devote to relaxing and spending an entire day for a dive doesn't seem such a bad thing. :wink:

Fish_Whisperer:
LOL! Okay... My folks live in Lake Isabella, so I have reason to head out there anyway. (although Sacramento is quite a haul, but they have an airport, right?)

Yup! A little bitty one.

Though an inconvenient 3.5 hours from Monterey, though well worth the drive (though it's 3 hours, the way I drive... heh)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom