All About Pony Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that your real question is 'why not just leave the pony on?'

I don't have a good answer for that, other than it isn't what I was taught - maybe someone else can answer

As far as having your pony on = you know it's working; I'd still disagree, and say the reg your buddy is breathing is the best option. You know it's working for a fact, they're breathing from it
Well if I've turned it on and maybe taken a test breath from it: I'm pretty confident it's working. On the other side, it's possible there's a second stage issue (octo) on your buddies system: not likely, but neither is a pony that worked when you got in randomly breaking.

I think T68 is making a valid point worth considering. A pony can add an extra layer of security or it can re enforce poor buddy habits. It's important to be aware of the potentials for both.
I started using a pony when I began soloing and now also include it on deeper buddy dives as well. Having it along though doesn't "allow" me to relax the buddy system. When I solo , I solo and when I buddy, I buddy. The ponies just there, just in case.

T. I wonder if the pony use thing is somewhat geographical in nature. Not a lot, but a signifigant number, of divers up here use them. We often have poor vis. conditions and losing a buddy is, unfortunately, a fact of life.

Well if I've turned it on and maybe taken a test breath from it: I'm pretty confident it's working. On the other side, it's possible there's a second stage issue (octo) on your buddies system: not likely, but neither is a pony that worked when you got in randomly breaking.

You misunderstood what I'm saying - you take the reg your buddy is breathing from, ie their primary, not their octo. The primary is the one you both know is working

I dive a hog rig, so donating your primary is standard practice. However, even if your buddy is diving a standard rig, they can still donate the primary, so long as they're comfortable with it/know that's what you're going to do. Usually the person who is not OOA is the better one to go looking for an octo

Anyway, in my experience, in a 'genuine' OOA situation, people go for the primary regardless

T. I wonder if the pony use thing is somewhat geographical in nature. Not a lot, but a signifigant number, of divers up here use them. We often have poor vis. conditions and losing a buddy is, unfortunately, a fact of life.

It's possible - most of my diving is done in Asia. I personally only use a pony when doing deco diving (with a deco mix) or training. But if it's a deco dive then I'm using twins anyway, so I don't (shouldn't) need the pony for backup

But I myself can't recall seeing anyone using a pony for general rec. diving - not to say they don't, just that I haven't seen it myself

Maybe the OP should consider switching to doubles rather than getting a pony?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom