All around usage travel bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm in the market for a bcd. I'm 6'6" 255 with under 50 dives. I'm located in Pennsylvania so I do some cold freshwater diving, 8mm Hollis neotek hooded semidry with 22lbs weight in traditional jacket bcd. I also do 2 or 3 warmer saltwater trips a year, 3mm short or full suit with 14 lbs of weight in the traditional jacket bcd. Both setups I place 2lbs of that on a tank weight. I'm looking for a bcd that I can travel with that will meet my needs for both types of diving. I'm looking at scubapro hydros, cressi travellight, aqualung rogue. Any personal experience with these particular bcds in both of these applications? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Hydros is my next purchase. I won’t use it for my cave diving, but overall travel and some techreational diving it will suit my needs well.

Also should state tanks most used are steel 80 or 100. Thanks dogdiver, the hydros is probably in the lead but want to make sure I'm not spending extra money I dont need to. Also like the bigger lift on it as I'm fairly heavy (both body and weighting) in both fresh and saltwater

Second that. A backplate and wing! Limitless

I figured I would get a lot of bpw suggestions. Problem is I'm not familiar with them other than discussions here, dont have an LDS that is well versed with them, and I have a trip to cozumel in a month and a half. That doesn't leave me much time to get co.fortable with a completely different gear setup than I'm used to.

Not really a big change as far as diving it. Do you have any friends/associates that could help you set it up? BP/wing is really the way to go for what your post was asking.

Not really a big change as far as diving it. Do you have any friends/associates that could help you set it up? BP/wing is really the way to go for what your post was asking.
Not really anyone I know, have only seen 1 person running it in person with doubles. The diving it isnt my biggest concern. It's the setup, weighting changes, trim etc that have me concerned about changing so soon before a 20 dive trip.

BBeacuse u want it for travel as well. AL BP 30-36# singles wing, 1 piece harness. 2 cam bands xs Scuba quick pockets. 4 total 2 on each cam band. Distribute weight as evenly as possible between the 4. Hip D rings inline with hip and armpit. Shoulder D rings rest on front of shoulder where u can get same hand thumb to grab them. Go out and dive and have fun with it.

BBeacuse u want it for travel as well. AL BP 30-36# singles wing, 1 piece harness. 2 cam bands xs Scuba quick pockets. 4 total 2 on each cam band. Distribute weight as evenly as possible between the 4. Hip D rings inline with hip and armpit. Shoulder D rings rest on front of shoulder where u can get same hand thumb to grab them. Go out and dive and have fun with it.
Given previous weight totals, how much weight reduction would be recommended to start with? As I understand it from other bpw threads, there is typically a fairly drastic weight reduction when switching styles

Back
Top Bottom