All around usage travel bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I wouldn’t dive a back plate and wing with a single tank. I dive doubles with it because it serves a purpose rather than a pose.
??? Do not understand what you are saying here? Why wouldn't someone dive a backplate and wing with a single tank? I do and it is totally awesome. Lots of reasons I can think of to do so. Also, this post and report might be helpful to the OP: Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W

I have about 25 dives on my Hydros and love it. Right after my OW certification I bought the Aqualung Dimension I3 and all my dives were on that BCD until I got the Hydros. I use the integrated weight pockets when diving cold water in my Hollis Neotek semi dry and switch to the webbing harness for warm water diving. I have been able to drop 6 lbs in lead with the Hydros. Some of it is the neutral buoyancy of the vest, and the other is the overall balance and fit of the Hydros over the Dimension. I'm just much more comfortable in the Hydros. The BCD just "sticks" to you as maneuver around.

I'm diving the hydros and rogue tomorrow through my LDS. My son is doing his OW classes and I'm trying them out while he does his skills. Leaning towards the hydros as I'm not crazy about the orientation of the weight pockets on the rogue. I could afford to shed some weight. James when you say you shed 6lbs, is that cold or warm water and what was your weight to start with?

Both cold and warm water. To be honest I'm sure I was a few lbs over weight to begin with. For reference, I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs. In cold water with my 8/7/6 I was diving 18 lbs with my steel 80 tank. Had to scull down the 1st 10 ft to begin the dive but would drop pretty quick as the suit compressed. Was neutral at the end of the dive with little to no air in the BCD at or below 15ft. If I drifted up to 10ft during the safety stop let's just say the safety stop was pretty much over. For warm water I was diving 12 lbs and probably could have dropped to 10. With the Hydros in cold water I am using 12 lbs. 3x3 in the trim pockets and 2x2 in the integrated weight pockets with a 2 pound tank weight. For warm water with the harness, I have 2x2 in the trim pockets and use a one pound tank weight. I was a little foot heavy with the Hydros especially with my cold water fins as the tank sits lower in the BCD than my old Dimension. Moving the tank up higher in the BCD and adding the tank weight leveled me out perfectly.

I dive a Cressi TravelLight and have been very happy with it. It travels well and I'm comfortable with it, which is the most important thing for me.

I don't do cold water diving so I can't speak to that, but it works well in the Caribbean for me.

If you don't want a BP/W set-up, I've taken my Zeagle Stiletto to Europe and Asia, dove in everything from 36 degrees F and up, always been a pleasure and never had any issues. Highly recommend.

Both cold and warm water. To be honest I'm sure I was a few lbs over weight to begin with. For reference, I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs. In cold water with my 8/7/6 I was diving 18 lbs with my steel 80 tank. Had to scull down the 1st 10 ft to begin the dive but would drop pretty quick as the suit compressed. Was neutral at the end of the dive with little to no air in the BCD at or below 15ft. If I drifted up to 10ft during the safety stop let's just say the safety stop was pretty much over. For warm water I was diving 12 lbs and probably could have dropped to 10. With the Hydros in cold water I am using 12 lbs. 3x3 in the trim pockets and 2x2 in the integrated weight pockets with a 2 pound tank weight. For warm water with the harness, I have 2x2 in the trim pockets and use a one pound tank weight. I was a little foot heavy with the Hydros especially with my cold water fins as the tank sits lower in the BCD than my old Dimension. Moving the tank up higher in the BCD and adding the tank weight leveled me out perfectly.
Thanks for the detailed trim layout and adjustment. I'm diving it tonight on loan from my LDS. Going trash guard so will try dial in my weight from there. Probably going to try 4x4 in trim and 3x3 in pockets with a 2 tank weight. I wear some big ass fins with big feet, so I will probably end up fin heavy too even with my warm water fins. We shall see. Leaning towards the hydros until I dive it and the rogue.

If you don't want a BP/W set-up, I've taken my Zeagle Stiletto to Europe and Asia, dove in everything from 36 degrees F and up, always been a pleasure and never had any issues. Highly recommend.
Not crazy about the threaded weight dump on them. Looked at a few zeagle and decided to go another route. Thanks though

Did a skin dive in them last night and preferred the hydros. However I'm not sure I like the air2, it was as little too tight to be comfortable and I found I had to tilt my head slightly to the left so it wasnt pulling. Did you go with air2 on yours?

I used 4lbs of weight (only because I didn't have 2 1lb weights with me) with a steel 80 and was overweighted, didn't care for them in the weight pockets though as it tended to pull me more vertical. Switched to trim pouches and it balanced out well. A bit of forward push at surface, but manageable. Cant tell if I'm better suited to a large or an xl though. At 6'6+ there is plenty of room for adjustment, but in mid range of adjustment it sat too high on my torso. Going with the hydros purchase tonight and will add a review once I hit the quarry with it this weekend in an 8mm suit

I passed on the air2 also. I have the same issue with the weight pockets. For me, the BCD works better with the weight up higher. For warm water, I was able to ditch the weight pockets, and just use the trim pockets with the web harness. I was between a medium and large based on the sizing chart. Went with the medium and still have plenty of adjustment. I tighten the waist cinch strap first, followed by the chest strap, then fine tune with the shoulder straps. If I tighten the shoulder straps first, I have the same issue with it sitting to high on my torso. I also adjusted the chest strap to the lowest adjustment point which helped fine tune the fit for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom