All I can say is I hate drysuits!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubba05:
The only problem is there are not many people near me that dive and those that do have very little experience. BTW, I am in the eastern panhandle of WV if anyone reading this is close enough, maybe we could get together for some diving/practice/training.
Put that location in your profile and go look at the local club forums for something in your area (Mid Atlantic, Kentucky or Wreck Valley all border or include your area) or post regarding some work out dives in that area :wink:

WreckedDiver:
... I like them for teaching purposes as I'm always on my knees on the bottom demostrating stuff.

... I liked to pile on the weights still do and the hernia they suffered bring my weight belt back up still brings a smile to my face or maybe thats the beer.

OK - let me say it: Have you given any thought to demonstrating proper bouyancy skills to your students as you demonstrate the skills themselves?

This proper bouyancy is only made easier by proper weighting.

I am not an instructor - but I know I would have appreciated it if my instructor had taken the time to show proper bouyancy skills while doing simple things like mask drills and regulator retrievals. I know it can be done now - so why isn't it demonstrated? Is it just laziness?

Sadly, it's this kind of OW instruction which makes for a lot of angry rants about the state of Scuba Instruction today. :(

zboss:
While I am definately going to take the dry suit specialty class myself - I don't mind paying for some brain matter - what do you guys think of dry suit gators? Do they work well? What is the downside?

From what i have seen, divers either love them or feel no need for them. I am in the latter category and never used or felt the need for them. When i feel the squeeze from my lower legs loosen up or a air bubble down there thats usually a sign for me to dump some air and regain that shrink wrapped feeling once again. I generally leave my exhaust valve full open and use just enough air to equalize the suit(kinda like exhaling in your mask to equalize it while descending) and eliminate excessive uncomfortable squeeze on the way down. My first few dives the squeeze really bugged the heck out of me but now it is really comfortable. Hint: If you have hickies all over your body after your dive your not adding enough air to eliminate the excessive squeeze so add more air, although chicks might dig it j/k :D

Here’s my experience with drysuits:

After 5 dives I HATED the thing.
After 10 dives I didn’t hate it, but didn’t like it either.
After 15 dives I was sort of okay with it.
After 30 dives I like it, but it still needs some work.
I suspect I won’t be totally comfortable with it until I hit 50 dives in it.

As for gaiters, I did my first fifteen dives without them and the next fifteen with them. I like them and think they help, though I suspect a lot of the “help” is psychological. The Halcyon Gator Wraps are best, IMHO.

Don’t add enough air so that you’re totally comfortable – just add enough so that you aren’t totally UNcomfortable.

Whoever invented the p-valve deserves a freakin medal.

Bubba05:
Thanks everyone for the words of advice. I needed to vent about my first experience with the DS. Your tips and tricks are great and I almost look forward to going out and trying the darn thing again. I will definately give it time and also check into a class or at the very least seek out help from someone more experienced. The only problem is there are not many people near me that dive and those that do have very little experience. BTW, I am in the eastern panhandle of WV if anyone reading this is close enough, maybe we could get together for some diving/practice/training. Thanks again everyone, I feel alittle better about it all.
Don't feel bad Bubba, I feel the same way with just about every new piece of dive gear I own. I have been through the "I hate (insert equipment here)" phase many times. Sometimes I stick with it sometimes I ditch it, but give it a chance. I love my drysuit(s) and everyone I dive with uses them. I live in Canada though.
BTW I got a free DUI CF200 off a scubaboard member yesterday. See it pays to lurk frequently.

Dryglove:
As previously stated it takes a few dives to get used to diving a drysuit. There are basically two ways to dive a drysuit by using your suit for bouyancy control or adding just enough air to the suit to eliminate excessive squeeze and using your BC for buoyancy. I prefer the latter as it eliminates a lot of the feet up problems especially when in a heads down position looking under rocks and such.

Most importantly you need to be shown/taught what to do in case of a feet up ascent, stuck inflator, run away ascent etc. Either have a seasoned drysuit diver show you the ropes or take a class. Me personally, I will never dive a wetsuit again in cold water.

Yeah, this seems to be the trick -- only put the bare minimum amount of air in the darn thing. First dive I *thought* I was putting the minimum in, but up went those feet.Next dive I only put air in when I was in danger of not being able to father children and it was a lot better - I am working toward something in the middle :)

Also, make sure to dump air early when you ascend ...

I have 5 dives and am now mostly in control of it rather than other way around :)
I have a friend who uses theirs for buoyancy and is still not happy on 50 dives (and they've been divng for 15+ years)

Bubba05:
Like the title states, I hate drysuits. Got mine today and I wore it for the first and last time! The most uncomfortable, bouyant, irratating, thing I have ever tried to swim in. And I mean tried. Wasn't much swimming to it. Just alot of floating around with my damn feet straight up over my head with air pockets in the feet so big they knock my fins off.

On a different note, anyone interested in buying a like new drysuit. I'll make you a sweet deal.

Let's see, 0-15 dives, apparently never took a drysuit class or even asked someone to brief you on how to use one, never mind the fact that uncounted divers the world over not only use them but love them.

Yup, it's not you, it's definitely the drysuit. I think you should burn it. They're obviously badly designed and ill-suited to the task of diving.

As computer geeks say: RTFM

radinator:
Let's see, 0-15 dives, apparently never took a drysuit class or even asked someone to brief you on how to use one, never mind the fact that uncounted divers the world over not only use them but love them.

Yup, it's not you, it's definitely the drysuit. I think you should burn it. They're obviously badly designed and ill-suited to the task of diving.

As computer geeks say: RTFM

Of course it's not me. I am a diving prodigy. Drysuits suck, I am just the only one that realizes it :rolleyes:

I always liked the computer geek saying : S T F U

Keep the great advice coming. You guys are really helping out. I will probably try to work with it some this weekend up at the lake. I am interested in how warm this thing really is too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom