All I can say is I hate drysuits!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with most of the posts here, except the 10 dives thing - I think I took more than that.

Gator wraps might help with the foot bouyancy thing, and fit is extremely important.

For a while I found myself diving wet in the height of summer (such as it is here in sunny central Canda) and dry in spring and fall, out of necessity. Now that I'm used to the drills - especially donning and doffing - you can't keep me away from my beloved drysuit!

Bouyancy drills are a bit different - I find it takes forever for air that you added to make a difference to your bouyancy. Although I agree that it's better to use the BCD.

Unless I'm going deep, I treat the dump valve like a tank valve; all the way out then a quarter turn back in. HIH doole

Bubba05:
Of course it's not me. I am a diving prodigy. Drysuits suck, I am just the only one that realizes it :rolleyes:

I always liked the computer geek saying : S T F U

Sure, no problem. But promise me that I can be there (with my video camera) if you ever buy an airplane. :1poke:

wedivebc:
Don't feel bad Bubba, I feel the same way with just about every new piece of dive gear I own. I have been through the "I hate (insert equipment here)" phase many times. Sometimes I stick with it sometimes I ditch it, but give it a chance. I love my drysuit(s) and everyone I dive with uses them. I live in Canada though.
BTW I got a free DUI CF200 off a scubaboard member yesterday. See it pays to lurk frequently.

I saw that thread and am kicking myself for not checking that forum more often.

Bubba,
Like Doole I generally crank my dump valve wide open (but skip the 1/4 turn back). Many suits trap a lot of air just in the suiting up process. which you can vent by crouching down into a ball shape and pulling your neck seal open slightly. Sort of like burping a tupperware:)

I will definately have to work with the dump valve. I am actually looking forward to trying out everyones tips this weekend.

Boy, threads like these scare me. I have seen so many cases of people buying dry suits and the LDS do not provide them with proper instruction or divers thinking they know it all and think Dry Suits are the same as wetsuits. I had a guy at Underwater Sports Divers Fair buy a suit from us and couldn't wait to use it. We told him to sign up for a free introductory session at the store. Stubborn guy ended up taking his suit out a and diving it. He comes in the next morning and says his suit is defective. Air went to his feet, couldn't get it out. Valve wouldn't release air.
We took him inside to the pool, had a Dive Master spend two minutes showing him a few techniques on how not to get air in your feet, and if you do, how to get it out. Come to find out, he was trying to dive with the valve totally closed.
The next year, the guy brought his wife, his daughter and his son to buy new suits at Divers Fair. The moral of the story is to make sure you get proper instruction.

Bubba, you really started what ended up being a really good thread with a little humorous sarcasm (that everyone except Ratinator got). I am also new to the dry-suit experience and am having the same problems Bubba's having. I did quite a few approaches slowly and methodically to get the gist of it. I'm inspired to keep working on it. Hey Bubba! BTW.... I have the same dry suit as you too!

Thanks all helpful posters!
-J

JButla:
Bubba, you really started what ended up being a really good thread with a little humorous sarcasm (that everyone except Ratinator got). I am also new to the dry-suit experience and am having the same problems Bubba's having. I did quite a few approaches slowly and methodically to get the gist of it. I'm inspired to keep working on it. Hey Bubba! BTW.... I have the same dry suit as you too!

Thanks all helpful posters!
-J

Imagine that. You probably had the same amount of training with your suit as I did too.

simbrooks:
A wise move not to let you go down to get it, you werent in a state to control your ascent from depth if you hadnt been able to find the belt, or of course assuming you could get off the line to go find it. Now the rocket ride could have been avoided by going hand over hand back up the line, this i think was a bad move by the DM telling you to sail off to the surface, IMO. Also try to spread your weight around as non-ditchable if you can, only drop the swing weight :wink:

I was a very novice diver when this occured. The wieght belt was right beside the bouy line on the bottom. Good advice on the hand over hand back up though! I did flare out going to the surface anyway.

JButla:
Bubba, you really started what ended up being a really good thread with a little humorous sarcasm (that everyone except Ratinator got).

Oh, I got it. You apparently didn't get mine. Maybe it was too biting. :crafty: :maniac:

Anyway, it's RADinator. And the avatar is a possum, not a rat. Although, I have to admit, that twist of the name hadn't occurred to me. :bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom