All in the name of science...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As part of a special day celebration (perhaps my birthday, perhaps Slashdot's 10th anniversary, or perhaps Guy Fawkes Day... it doesn't really matter), the thought occurred to me that it would be entertaining to have a "birthday cake" underwater. Obviously, once the thought had occurred to me, the science behind it became quite entertaining, and so, I pondered. What requirements must be met for it to count as a "real" birthday cake? The list was surprisingly short:
  1. It must be cake.
  2. It must have candles.
  3. The candles must be lit.
Well, that seemed simple enough at first thought, but as in all projects, the plans and the implementation can be rather far removed from each other. The implementation deserved more thought, but it was readily apparent that the last requirement would be the determining factor to the success or failure of the mission.

The first corollary to the third requirement, then, was obvious. The candles would require a gaseous atmosphere capable of sustaining combustion -- in short, air. Various issues immediately follow from that. First, some container must be procured to hold the air. The larger the volume of the container, the more weight will be required to offset its buoyancy. In order to reduce the problem to manageable scale, the container needs to be of relatively small volume -- an 8-pound block of lead (the largest single block I have handy) will offset a gallon of air, so that's about the size of it.

Of course, by limiting the volume of the container, we encounter other issues. Perhaps most significant of these is the oxygen consumption of the candles (as well as the heat generation which is the direct result of said consumption). Upon further thought, we consider the case of the one-year-old child. Said child's birthday cake is adorned with but a single candle, and yet, it is in no way found lacking in birthday-cake-ness. With that in mind, reducing the number of candles to a single representative candle should not invalidate the procedure, and it significantly reduces the oxygen consumption and heat generation parameters versus multiple candles.

On a similar note, the physical size of the cake has not been shown to be of particular importance. In fact, the size of the cake is almost always a function of the size of the guest list, a parameter which has no defined correlation to the number of candles (or any parameter from which the number of candles is derived). Therefore, as long as the cake-ness requirement is satisfied and there is sufficient material to anchor the sole candle, the dimensions are unimportant. While several fractional sheet cakes are often cut from a single full-sheet cake, continuing that to the point of frosting a single piece of cake would seem disingenuous, however, using one intact cupcake does not have the same stigma. (There is also a body of evidence indicating that the cupcake approach has significant force of tradition behind it, even if less than that of the full birthday cake concept.)

So, now we've defined the scope of the project to:
  1. One container of air.
  2. One cupcake.
  3. One candle.
  4. A method of lighting the candle.
At first thought, one might assume that part four should be fairly trivial. All it would seem to require is one small disposable lighter and a method of keeping it dry until use. Of course, the prime issue is the effect of pressure on the lighter. Will the lighter work underwater? Will it be crushed? Will it explode?

What is a disposable lighter, anyway? Well, at its simplest, it is a container of flammable fluid, a valve, and a source of ignition. The fluid is under pressure, and when the valve is opened and the flint sheds sparks into the mixing fuel/air stream, you get a flame. So, where does the pressure come from, and how much is it?

It turns out that the fluid in the lighter is butane. At standard pressure (1 ata), butane boils at -0.5°C (just under the freezing point of water). The butane in the lighter is not all vapor, however, which means the pressure in the lighter (assuming there's no air in it, just butane liquid and butane vapor) will be the vapor pressure of butane at the ambient temperature of the lighter. At 25°C (about 77°F, or "room temperature"), the vapor pressure of butane is 2.4 ata, or about 20. psi gauge. Of course, the temperature of the site I'd be doing this is 68°F (20°C), so the vapor pressure of butane at that temperature is 2.0 ata. Running through the equations to get the pressure as a depth, the pressure inside the lighter at the ambient temperature of the dive site is equal to the ambient pressure at a depth of about 35 feet (if you do all the math and only round at the end, that is).

Unfortunately, the exercise is to take place at a depth of about 50 feet. At that depth, if you pressed the valve button on the lighter (assuming it hadn't been crushed), air would flow *into* the fuel reservoir. Obviously, the lighter will not light in that situation.

So, the question is simple: If you had a small "airquarium" 50 feet below the surface, and you wanted to light a candle that is stuck in a cupcake inside that small container, how would you light it?

All in the name of science, of course. :biggrin:

The required lighting equipment to use would be a waterproof storm match. If the said cake is held under a very small wet diving bell (say an upside down glass bowl) you can reach into the dry portion of the wet bell and strike the match. I would recomend you take a box of matches.

The wet bell: A wet bell is nothing other than an upside down open end container such as a bowl, can or box. Usually the container is clear to allow light in (in this case out). The bell is lowered from the surface with gas trapped inside and teh level of the water at teh opening of the bell is maintained by adding gas to compensate for the pressure. A standard SCUBA regulator tuned to almost free flow at 2' to 3' might work, or just use a small cylinder to add gas as you decend.

If teh bell is large enough (larger than a water glass) there should be enough gas (i.e. air) to keep a candel lit. You could, if you are real daring, add oxygen at depth, but the explosion hazard would be pretty high considering the cake, icing and candel are all made of combustable materials.

Aqurium... No, too big, fish bowl - maybe, upside down salid bowl is probably the right size.

Engineering caculations wil cost you extra.

sounds like a fun party. How do you fit your head inside the bell to blow out the candle?:D

I'd love to hear a group of divers singing happy birthday through their regs.

The required lighting equipment to use would be a waterproof storm match. If the said cake is held under a very small wet diving bell (say an upside down glass bowl) you can reach into the dry portion of the wet bell and strike the match. I would recommend you take a box of matches.
Here's another idea. How about a 9-volt battery, an Estes model rocket engine igniter, and one of those "self-relighting" candles. I'm not sure a regular birthday candle would take the light, but the trick candles are made to relight quite easily (obviously). It wouldn't require striking a match, and it would throw in the added entertainment of mixing electricity into the already entertaining fire-and-water diorama. :biggrin:
Engineering calculations will cost you extra.
Admittedly, I work in computers, but I'd like to think I haven't lost so much of my chemical engineering degree so as to not be able to handle a simple birthday-under-glass. (I have lost my Perry's, however... but it's bound to be around here *somewhere*.) :D
sounds like a fun party. How do you fit your head inside the bell to blow out the candle? :D
What, like you've never seen a bendy straw? :wink:

(Of course, if you use a self-relighting candle, you may want to blow a little more wet than usual. :rofl3:)
I'd love to hear a group of divers singing happy birthday through their regs.
Well, I've actually played around with the "talk into an air-filled bag" trick. It works, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I'm sure we could practice. (It wouldn't have the same mumble effect of singing through the regs, but it would add to the surreality of it all. :D)

How about a mermaid jumping out of the cake!

My solution?

One cupcake (wrapped in waterproof container).
One candle.
One Lift bag.
One (or more...depending upon the success of the first) magnesium match or road flare.

Drop underwater, attach the lift bag to immovable object (or at least sufficently heavy or anchored). Create a bubble of air in the bag big enough to sustain burning...at least temporarily. Unwrap the cupcake and put the candle in the top.
Light the match (or flare) being EXTREMELY careful not to burn hole in said bag, and light the candle.

voila!

I'd use my Broco BR-22 Cutting Torch, of course.

Where's the party? If it's in New Orleans I bet a Broco would be easy to find.

Unfortunately, it will be quite a few hours from New Orleans... and using something so powerful would feel like cheating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom