All in the name of science...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say go wet, bring the biggest ice cream cake you can to keep it all together. Put a wire mesh over it if you're worried about it breaking up. Screw candles and just stick some flares into the cake. :)

PS. You better post video!!!!

From my recent Vortex experiences, though, this'll have to be an early morning party if you want to be clearly visible to those in the hole.
The cavern area clears up fairly well, so as long as there's not a stampede in progress to the cave, it should be fine.

This thread needs to be made a "sticky" at the top of this forum!

cupcake-candle.jpg

ClayJar,
Why don't you just have the party at my place?

sea_resort.jpg

There was a wedding down in Jules once upon a time, here's the cake:

Cakef.jpg

I have now confirmed my suspicions regarding "normal" birthday candles and Estes model rocket igniters. The igniters are not powerful enough to light a normal birthday candle. (I tried twice, with follow-on tries with the remnants, as the super-thin heat-generating wire outlasted the "match head" material.) The igniters may be enough to light a real match, but not a birthday candle.

Of course, I probably have a bit of green "cannon" fuse around here *somewhere*, and if I coat that with wax, it could *look like* a candle, and I know for a fact that an Estes model rocket igniter will light that fuse if you poke it through the green "casing" and into the center.

I think I'll go with waterproof matches, however, since candles are a lot easier to blow out than wax-coated cannon fuse. :biggrin:

Light the match (or flare) being EXTREMELY careful not to burn hole in said bag, and light the candle.

OK, I have no scientific credentials at all, but I am wondering if it is even possible to burn a hole in the bag.

When I was in boy scouts, we used to amaze the new scouts on camping trips by putting an egg in a paper cup, filling the cup with water, setting the cup directly into the flames of the camp fire, and cooking the egg to hard-boiled completion. Only the portion of the cup above the line of the boiling water would burn. Even at boiling temperature, the water kept the temperature of the paper cup below the kindling temperature.

OK, I have no scientific credentials at all, but I am wondering if it is even possible to burn a hole in the bag.
An interesting point, but one which I don't think I'll test with *my* lift bag. There are too many lost anchors out there to wait for a new bag. :wink:

Of course, since the bag is not transparent, it's a moot point for *this* exercise. (We can do the "can you burn a hole in a lift bag" exercise *next* time. :biggrin:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom