All in the name of science...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, ignoring the noise for the moment...

I just remembered that I have my 8-quart polycarbonate containers. They're the usual restaurant-type almost cube containers. Anyway, they happen to have handles on two sides, and the handles have a hole in them so they don't collect water when the containers go through a commercial dishwasher. Anyway, if I tie a loop of line between the holes and use a bar to distribute the force along the handles, it should be perfectly capable of holding 16 pounds of suspended ballast weight. The flat profile of the sides means much less distortion, and there is plenty of room for a cupcake and the hand lighting the match to ignite the candle. Also convenient is the fact that the nearly-square cross section gives me a nice corner from which to build up the cupcake holding system.

Of course, since it's "Not recommended for use with contents greater than 212°F/100°C", the heat rising directly from the candle flame could be an issue. Also, they're not my cheapest containers, so while I don't want to melt one, I also don't want to blacken the inside bottom (which would be the inside top, of course).

What I'm thinking is that I can tape cardboard to the ceiling of the container. It won't be in direct contact with the flame, and it's unlikely to be a fire hazard. (Plus, I'll be submerged *in* a giant fire extinguisher. :biggrin:) It should insulate the top well enough for the short duration of lit-candle-ness. Additionally, dry cardboard would also make a useful striking surface for the matches (or at least, a convenient place to attach the striking surface from the matchbox, if such were necessary).

Anyway, that's about the size of it right now. The container, by the way, is a Rubbermaid 6308. ("6308, Space Saving Square Container, 8 3/4 in, 8.8 in, 8 3/4 in")

OK, sorry for the distraction...

back to the pursuit of Science!!! While you are at it, you might as well collect useful data and see if the candle burns hotter or faster while underwater...
hot and fast - just how i like 'em
underwater fires! get your mind out of the gutter

You might think about something reflective (aluminum foil? Space Blanket?) in the top (bottom?) of the container.

You might think about something reflective (aluminum foil? Space Blanket?) in the top (bottom?) of the container.
I thought about aluminum foil, but it is an excellent heat conductor, which I thought could potentially cause complications (i.e. melting of the container at the foil/plastic interface). That problem could be mitigated by having a buffer (such as a thin layer of cardboard or something similar) between the foil and the container, but I didn't see what benefit that would be. The cardboard "ceiling" should be protective enough; would the foil be there merely for aesthetics?

As for mylar, the plastic film on which the aluminum is deposited melts extremely easily and would almost certainly not survive even a short exposure to the hot gases rising from the candle flame.

A piece of 5/8 fire board?

A piece of 5/8 fire board?
Well, something like that would be possible, but it'd be more difficult to mount than a piece of cardboard. (A little piece of poster putter would work for the cardboard.)

Of course, I'm not sure what the improvement a piece of fire board or other such material would provide compared to simple cardboard, which should be ample damage prevention for the container. The duration of the flame portion of the exercise will be rather short, and I don't foresee cardboard being a significant problem on the time scales involved.

Of course, if cardboard *were* to be insufficient, I'd be tempted to do something like adding an ablative layer on top of the cardboard substrate. Something like dried-on oatmeal would probably be my first choice, as it is easily accessible, virtually zero incremental cost, rather effective, a good insulator, and just a really cool idea. Plus, if it is released into the water, it very quickly disintegrates and also is completely edible for any nearby fish.

Folks have talked around, but not quite nailed down the aspects of requirement 1: “It must be cake.”

Two options:
1. If traditional cake, with all those gas pockets, the air container should be maintained at surface pressure (such as a camera housing), or the cake will crush to the point of ugliness.
2. sberanek provided the solution for an ambient pressure air container (like a diving bell) – ice cream cake.

Well, as Thal and Muddiver have unfairly stolen two of my ideas by posting before I even had a chance to read the thread, I suggest another option.

Place the cake in a sealed hard container and bring it to a place like Morrison Springs where you can actually stand up with your head in a pocket and ...........never mind.....lets go with Dr Bill's idea.

couv

Back
Top Bottom