Alleged illegal tanks sold by Add Helium-Heads up to any that may have purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is my third mod post asking people to stop the personal attacks. Address the topic without calling each other names.

But this is 80% of the fun of being on SB!!!

This is my third mod post asking people to stop the personal attacks. Address

Would you please post the PM's between you, me and St John? You have my permission.

St. John, you ready to have people see me apologize to you, then you turn around and make a personal attack? C'mon, you are anonymous! It won't hurt you professional reputation or your DoD employment at all. Pretty please with sugar on top?

Seriously, they make the MOD pulling Mark Stephens post absolutely hilarious! Be a pal!
:)

It is the PM string that I started, entitled "My Error", if that helps.

Last edited:
" These lightweight cylinders are great for travel, and reduce the negative buoyancy of your rebreather - particularly useful when diving with a thin wetsuit as your exposure protection."

* Note these tanks are not DOT approved. While they meet CE standards, some dive shops may be unable or unwilling to fill them. Please follow all local laws and ordinances when filling and transporting these cylinders. Add Helium is not responsible for mis-use, or improper use of this cylinder."

A lot of people including myself have now or had these tanks just so we could travel with our rebreather's to places that don't have small 2 L tanks to rent like the islands. You can ship your sorb to the hotel before you go on your trip and have it waiting for you and fly in with your own lightweight carbon fiber tanks. It fills the need for people that want to dive their rebreather when they travel. I have seen hundreds of these things all over Florida even around cave country. I have never heard of one problem.
They can't be any worse than a low pressure cylinder jacked to 4000 or more in cave country,
Or a tank on some Caribbean island you rent that hasn't has a hydro or VIP in ten years so let's get some prospective on this.
They are sold at the buyers risk just like our CCR and Sorb. I would like to continue to have that freedom personally. If there is a problem with my cylinders safety it's on me because I knew the risk.
( I never personally put over 3000 psi in mine )

I mean no disrespect but a Bully is called out, he complains (very telling of his character) and posts are pulled.. This entire thing has been calling Peter and Add Helium names; no standard????? Please help me understand??

I will try. Threads like this are very, very hard to moderate. Post after post is close to the limit. We try very hard not to interfere unless posts go over the line because we sincerely want to keep communication flowing on an important topic. If a post is close to being over the line but is decided to be within limits, and then a response to it is clearly over the line (and the post I deleted was clearly over the line), then it may seem like we re playing favorites, but it is really a matter of a fallible human doing his best to be fair.

Right now, there is growing moderator sentiment to close the thread and nuke the entire discussion. Is that what you folks want? Then keep posting personal attacks that are near or over the line, and that will be that. We will all be done with that and everyone will be at peace. Of course, there will be no discussion on an important topic, but, hey, if that's what you prefer....

Mark,
I got told the same thing when I bought mine. Dive/fill at your own risk. 3200 for mine.
I visually inspect the wrapping each time before diving, and VI's the interior every time I have to pull the valves to fly. (And again before inserting the valves, just cuz I'm paranoid) Plus, they are essentially empty water bottles, and I always carry an empty aluminum MSR bottle to help make the point to TSA. Has anyone ever had any trouble with transporting them?

My only regret is that this thread may interfere with my ability to have these bottles filled at the local shop. Ah well, it was about time to buy a booster anyway.

"
* Note these tanks are not DOT approved. While they meet CE standards,

I would be most interested in seeing the compliance cert on that. BTW, even if CE compliant they may not be legally compliant in EU community nations.

" , some dive shops may be unable or unwilling to fill them. Please follow all local laws and ordinances when filling and transporting these cylinders. Add Helium is not responsible for mis-use, or improper use of this cylinder."

unable or unwilling? It's freaking illegal. Come on seriously?? That is wink nudge BS

" "

They can't be any worse than a low pressure cylinder jacked to 4000 or more in cave country,
You really need to educate yourself, you could not be more wrong. Who told you that?

"
They are sold at the buyers risk just like our CCR and Sorb. I would like to continue to have that freedom personally. If there is a problem with my cylinders safety it's on me because I knew the risk.

You have already stated you are good with having these nice lightweight cylinders to travel, it's likely a safe bet that you aren't bringing your own compressor to fill them so you are OK with putting others lives on the line. You can say "it's on me" except that check will be paid by somebody else. I don't think you do understand the risk..at all. You've either bought into a sales pitch, not facts or you simply don't care as long as you get light tanks that you enjoy and screw the silly rules and the risk to the tank monkey.

Birds of a feather

" These lightweight cylinders are great for travel, and reduce the negative buoyancy of your rebreather - particularly useful when diving with a thin wetsuit as your exposure protection."

* Note these tanks are not DOT approved. While they meet CE standards, some dive shops may be unable or unwilling to fill them. Please follow all local laws and ordinances when filling and transporting these cylinders. Add Helium is not responsible for mis-use, or improper use of this cylinder."

A lot of people including myself have now or had these tanks just so we could travel with our rebreather's to places that don't have small 2 L tanks to rent like the islands. You can ship your sorb to the hotel before you go on your trip and have it waiting for you and fly in with your own lightweight carbon fiber tanks. It fills the need for people that want to dive their rebreather when they travel. I have seen hundreds of these things all over Florida even around cave country. I have never heard of one problem.
Or a tank on some Caribbean island you rent that hasn't has a hydro or VIP in ten years so let's get some prospective on this.

How many years are the cylinders in question good for? Will you automatically toss them out after 15 years, or is it a personal preference based on a visual inspection?

Mark,
I got told the same thing when I bought mine. Dive/fill at your own risk. 3200 for mine.
I visually inspect the wrapping each time before diving, and VI's the interior every time I have to pull the valves to fly. (And again before inserting the valves, just cuz I'm paranoid) Plus, they are essentially empty water bottles, and I always carry an empty aluminum MSR bottle to help make the point to TSA. Has anyone ever had any trouble with transporting them?

My only regret is that this thread may interfere with my ability to have these bottles filled at the local shop. Ah well, it was about time to buy a booster anyway.

umm..the very reason so few wrapped tanks have a long service life is because damage in and between the cylinder wall and the wrap material is virtually impossible to detect by doing a external visual inspection

Only regret eh? That's sad.

I'LL BE BLUNT, I'M SEEING PEOPLE THAT HAVE BOUGHT INTO A PRODUCT AND SALES PITCH THAT KNOW THEY WEREN'T LEGAL AND FRANKLY COULD GIVE A CRAP ABOUT ANY RISK IT POSES TO THE DIVE SHOPS AND TANK FILLERS AND PASSERS BY AS THEY GET FILLED. THAT'S PRETTY DESPICABLE.

Mark,

People around Florida are so use to seeing them I guess , so I don't think it's much of a problem getting them filled and people in the islands will fill anything, old soda bottles or gasoline cans if you give them money.
I fill my own tanks because I'm kind of picky on getting my gas mixes exactly on the numbers I want.
I did sell mine because I didn't use them that much anymore plus shops supporting ccrs when traveling are popping up more and more. We can thank in part Peter for that also , he has sold a lot of ccrs and set up a pretty big network of ccr supplies in dive shops all over the world.

How many years are the cylinders in question good for? Will you automatically toss them out after 15 years, or is it a personal preference based on a visual inspection?

If I kept mine I would have pitched them at 5 years just because If I can't these them I wouldn't trust them. Buying a replacement set is cheaper than a prosthetic arm or leg IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom