Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've got a mean bite, and you almost "came outta nowhere" with that one ... but I have a tough skin, and been around far too long to fall for that.

You two are easily entertained...

Henry Morgan:
Try this on for size....http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/14/national/main1616650.shtml

I also remember a few years ago when I came back from a job on...and under...the China Sea. My roomates had saved a newspaper clipping for me of a homeless guy from Clearwater who was killed by a small...3 to 4 foot....gator in a pond behind some condos while he was bathing. The guy was old and in very bad physical condition, and the gator took him to pieces.....tore off his head and an arm. Around a month or two later the local news commented that 6 people had been attacked by alligators in Florida so far that year. Now, when they ran down the list the guy from Clearwater wasn't on it. So that makes a least 7. The guy was killed in March, if I remember correctly....so we're talking at least 7 alligator attacks in the first half of the year. It may have been an exceptional year. Still...with that kind of inaccurate reporting who knows what the real numbers generally are.....could be much higher or much lower.

It's a normal condition for predatory animals to have less fear of humans as their populations increase.....due partly to the increased competition for food and habitat. You see this in all types of animals around the country and throughout the world. From coyotes getting thick enough to start taking down livestock in Kansas, necessitating coyote drives, to the "wonderful" work ecologists have done in northern California of increasing the mountain lion population, and all the problems that has caused.

My point is just to have respect for the animals, and for their ability to raise hell. It's a rare wild animal that is completely defenseless, and personalities can vary greatly from animal to animal and even from day to day. How many times have you heard a surprised owner say about his dog...."well I just don't understand...he's never bitten anyone before.."

I have made friends with Aligators because they know that I respect them.
I learned this when I watched the movie "Mako and the Jaws of death"
That movie sais it all. It is about a man who loved sharks and died trying to save their lives from unscrupulous shark hunters.
I have had my life saved from freezing in the Rockies because once I fell asleep in a cave during a blizard and awoke warm and safe next to a sleeping grizly bear and her cubs. I didn't have the heart to wake them up to show them thanks because they looked so peacfull there dreaming about Grizly bear things. I just went on my way with peace in my heart. Animals can sence your intentions. And if you think that you are so one with nature then go swiming with an aligator or a school of hamerheads and then report back to me. I think that most people are phonies who aught not leave the beach lest they get themeslves and others eaten. Thats what I think.

Midnight Star:
Wow! That looks like a fantastic place to shallow dive, or snorkle. :)

Not much to snorkel in, just some water around the spring (cave) entrance. Its located in a swamp near (north of) Weeki Wachi. No name for it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom