Almost certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddub23

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey fellow divers. Over the past couple of weeks, i've been able to get a lot of information about equipment on the forums. My wife and I have just completed all the pool sessions and classes. Our Ocean dives are this weekend in Monterey. I'm a little nervous, but really excited. Any final thoughts and tips? Thanks, and hope to see you diving!

In answer to your questions ... Listen carefully first then ask questions. Remember to focus on the fundamentals you learned in the pool. Your at the ocean primarily to repeat the skills you've already mastered ... so just do them as you know how. Essentially new skills will not be introduced to you at the beach (or on the boat) besides those things which relate to the new surroundings and environments. Your being examined primarily for mastery of the skills you've already done. And ABOVE ALL ELSE RELAX. :)

Thanks DiverBuoy. I am comfortable with my skills, and i've been told by many people to relax and enjoy it. I have a feeling the first descent into the ocean this weekend, won't be my last!

ddub23: I was certified last September and did a few dives since then. My best suggestion is to RELAX. At first things may seem overwhelming, but it is a lot easier to perform your OW skills if you take your time. The skills are not timed, and when you are relxed it goes much easier. :) On my 4th OW cert dive my DM took me on a tour of the springs. It was really cool because we had a bottom time that was longer then any other OW student they told me. Remember to pay attention to your DM, they are the experts. :wink:

It is an addicting sport. Living in the NE US we can not dive year around, unless you are hardcore. :) My Girlfriend and I got OW certified at the same time, and we just bought our season passes to Dutch Springs (a local dive quarry). So we will be diving all summer.

Any questions feel free to email me,

ddub23 ..... I'm a newbie from September as well - and did all the classes and dives with my husband. Once you're in, there's no turning back ..... you WILL be "hooked 4 life!!" It sounds like you're doing you're dives out in the blue water, wish we had been as lucky!! We did all our cert dives in our local lake with no vis ..... if you're comfortable with your skillls, just have a terrific time!!:)

It's ok to be a little nervous but is sounds like you are well trained and will do fine. Take it slow and easy. Be sure to tell us all how your first ocean dive was? Have a great time. :)

As already stated the best advice is just RELAX . If you have done it in the pool you can do it in the open water:thumb:

Just relax your gonna love it.Hopefully the vis will be good making it even better.Im assuming your going to breakwater or lovers point or a boat dive to ge certified?

I did my first two dives off of a boat several years back but the vis was crap at about 5ft.The next day was at breakwater with about 10ft of vis.Breakwater is a beautiful place when the vis runs good.I have been there a few times with over 70ft of vis.It seems like a whole different place.

Enjoy your dive and be safe!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom