Almost died today--Any captains out there???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I don't usually post when it comes to a subject that requires experience that I don't have, but I feel the need to make an exception here. The original OP started the topic off WAY WRONG with "almost died today" ok we will take away points on bad posting topic. I will say as a new diver and having never done a drift dive this post has clued me in on a few things that only experience would have that I got for free so thanks.

But man the SB crowd on this post is a little brutal even though the lady's topic was all wrong her fear and concerns are valid to us new divers. As a person raised around the ocean and a water lover, if I had surfaced and my ride wasn't there I would have been tripping out. But thanks to this thread I know why and what I should expect. I have read the statement here many time you don't know what you don't know.

I found this to be one of those deals that 2 people see the same thing and you get two way different stories just read how calm the boyfriend was, he was still hunting for dinner being a good buddy not leaving his partner.

Thanks for the info but give the girl a little break.

I just scanned the last few pages here. I can understand the OP's mind set. New diver in admittedly bad conditions.

But did I read it correctly that the dive buddy, a Jupiter diver with 25 -50 dives is the BF, who presumadly knows the drill in these cases, was looking for targets of oportunity to shoot instead of offering encouragement to his buddy?

If I misread, please feel free to correct me.
I don't know if I would view his post exactly like that, but here is that post or there are links from his Username to his other two if that will help. He did note that he took his speargun but not a whistle.

Everyone is missing what I have said on the past two pages. The OP is NOT THE SAME as when it was first put up. The OP has edited the post based on what will appease the SB thread, illicits the most sympathy at the time, or what works to stall any hosility or animosity that has risen. It seems the postings suddenly started changing when the BF popped up. In the initial posting, there was NO mention of a buddy, NO mention of rescue sausage, NO mention of drift dive, NO mention of speargun or ANYTHING. There was just a request on how to go after this Captain who ran the dive boat that she made the decision to get aboard ON HER OWN!!

I really think it is time to move on to another posting that legitimately requires our assistance, and to stop a**clowning around on this one

That is my $.01 worth

I understand Dave and agree, she started it all wrong. But the lessons get covered up with some of the remarks that should be over looked by the more experienced divers flaming new divers for over reacting. Even for me a total novice I could see clearly that this was not life or death at the end of the first post. So I over look the fear and bad SB topic to get something out of it.

In case this isn't clearly understood by any ScubaBoard newcomers reading or posting in this thread: In a running discussion, most people do NOT consider it acceptable to go back and modify your posts, other than minor corrections of grammar, spelling or typos that may have been making the post linguistically incomprehensible. People should not be adding or changing the actual information contained in a post, since most readers are not constantly referring back to see if anything has changed significantly. If there are corrections or new information to be presented, start a new post in the same thread. (Don't go starting a new thread, either. One event/discussion, one thread.)

safety in numbers man...but you should always rely on yourself. That means mapping out the weather, dive plan, etc...sorry to hear about your experience but glad you can learn from it by living another day.

In your opinion a new diver knows more about the weather than a seasoned boat Capt...that got it wrong anyway.

And then again there are some people who just really shouldn't be diving because they really aren't cut out for the sport. Which I'm leaning to at the moment.

I think a question to the DM or captain at the time of the expeience would have been more productive, constructive, and adult...and not trying to elicit a mob response, regardless of associated experience levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom