almost DIR reg setup with regular gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edupress

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to set you regs so that your octopus would be on the cord on you neck and you would donate your primary in case of an emergency? meaning that it's a standart reg setup with regular hose lengths. Thanks.

best

this can easily be done its just that you have to use your octo as a primary (because you will be donating that in case of an emergency. The DIR way to do it will include amoung other things the addition of a 5 foot long low pressure regulator hose to the primary second stage....I would recommend this because it allows better air sharing and less stress to a paniced diver in a ooa situation.

That's how we run a singles set-up, and my preference when I teach students.

I've been known to give away bungie necklaces to support the use of this configuration.

Our hoses are possibly different lengths than yours, i don't know. I do know some of the rentals I've used (students have used) wouldn't be my personal choice, but it gets the job done, and allows them to learn with the configuration.

On some set-ups the longer hose is the 'octo' so then we either swap hoses or reg so that the primary/donating reg is on the longer hose.

If i were you and wanted to go that route, I would get proper length hoses for the job. As above, the primary hose benefits of a 5 or 7ft length has a lot of merit as well.

Thanks. That's what I thought - that I would put yellow hose on my primary (which I would donate) and black one to the second (octopus) on the necklace. But still I would think that hose length is not that important in the opensea, 'cause in such situation I would prefere to ascend facing the buddy rather than continuing the dive.

That's why I don't like coloured hoses or wraps, or coloured reg face plates.

It does interfere for about 5 minutes when teaching students that just watched the Padi video with those items in full display, but the confusion is short lived, and these adults had no difficulty understanding a simple concept.

We use 5 and 7ft hoses for OW diving as it makes ascending face to face easier, unless we're trying to gang-rape each other and get in the way of our team-mate.

Have to admit though, the only time I've had to deploy the primary for 'real' is when a solo diver on the same boat invaded our team and was too low to continue, so it was either watch him CESA or drown, or allow him some gas. We were happy to have him a few feet further away than a standard length hose permits.

I just received my regs back from their annual servicing and I added the 7' hose to my setup. When I picked them up, my 7' hose was on my octo. I started laughing. I talked to the owner (he services the regs) and I told him I wanted my primary second stage on the 7' hose. he asked if I was sure.. YES I'm sure. He switched them.

I haven't had the chance to dive with it yet but, it felt comfortable with it on without being in the water. So I figure it'd be more comfortable once I get in the water. Now I just need to get some bungee or surgical tubing for the octo as my back up.

Michael

The depth of knowledge found in some shops never ceases to amaze me.

But that's a whole 'nuther thread. :wink:

Steve R:
I've been known to give away bungie necklaces to support the use of this configuration.

I may not be in you class(es) but, wanna hook a fellow diving brutha up? :wink:

Michael

They cost me about a dollar each.

I doubt the drive from Mississippi would be worth it. I was recently in the states, and I realize the cost of fuel where I was is significantly cheaper than the w-h-ores that bend us over up here, but I still think it is cost prohibitive :wink:

haha

I think we are up to 3.09. :| Predicted to shot to 4.00+ soon. :| hope not, at least my fellow employees hope not. If it goes up much more, I'll start riding my bike (mountain bike) to work everyday. With no shower up here,,, *phew*..

I'm going to order some bungee off Ebay.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom