Alternate kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also try to twist your body to bring your flutter kick to a more horizontal plane, kind of like doing the side stroke. This should keep the silt down, and may not be as stressful on the knees, although I haven't done this extesively enough to learn of any drawbacks yet (I could see a problem with maintaining a straight course). Either that or try a simple straight legged scissor kick with a nice easy stroke.

I did a kick similar to what steveann describes for a long time. My right hip would drop and the kick was basically a scissor/flutter combo. It also allowed me to see my buddy easily if he was on my left. I could get close to the bottom and not stir up the silt in the quarry as the force was directed parallel to the bottom instead of perpendicular to it.
Ber :lilbunny:

I do something similar. Starts like a frog with legs apart (but not wide) then as they come together drop the left hip and bring the right fin on top of the left fin. This squirts the water behind so there is no silting and at the same time puts no silly stresses on any joints. I do it nice and slow and relaxed as my steady long distance finning technique. Takes so little effort.

You can also try a modified frog kick that involves mainly ankle rotation. It's a high frequency, low amplitude "slapping" together of the bottom of your fins. You can do this with bent or straight legs. Once you get the hang of it, it's a very efficient kick.

Cameron

modified frogkick would get my vote (It´s what I use most of the time).

If that doesen´t work for you, you could try to flutterkick with bent knees (modified) but keep one fin stationary underneath the "fluttering" fin...you won´t move fast but you won´t silt as the stationary fin is directing the waterflow straight back instead of down...I use it in wrecks sometimes and it is just as good as a "frog" for not silting...

CameronMartz:
You can also try a modified frog kick that involves mainly ankle rotation. It's a high frequency, low amplitude "slapping" together of the bottom of your fins. You can do this with bent or straight legs. Once you get the hang of it, it's a very efficient kick.

Cameron

Thank you, can you provide a more discriptive explanation of how this kick should be done?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Mike7:
/me steps in, just found this from another thread http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm scroll down and click on Frog Modified.

Though that's a great video, you can get away with even less leg if you use even more ankle. This probably could be labelled "Modified Frog Kick #2." <g>

You are basically drawing opposite circles behind you with your feet, leading with the fins' flats when your feet converge (power stroke) and leading with the fins' edges when they diverge (recovery).

Cameron

Cool. You all rock. I will start trying these out and see what one works for me. HAve a happy weekend!

CameronMartz:
Though that's a great video, you can get away with even less leg if you use even more ankle. This probably could be labelled "Modified Frog Kick #2." <g>

You are basically drawing opposite circles behind you with your feet, leading with the fins' flats when your feet converge (power stroke) and leading with the fins' edges when they diverge (recovery).

Cameron

I watched a video showing it only a few days ago but I cant find it, it came from this site somewhere and that was the closest I got (the link above). You have explained it better then I could :p still some decent footage on that site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom