Alternative recommendations for G. Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb:
We had planned on diving there next June. From what I've read, the re-build will be slow due to a small pool of skilled construction workers.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that has great diving and also good beaches/shopping, etc. for several people that will not dive?

Thanks, Beck

Is East End impacted, also? If not, give it serious thought. The reefs are still in reasonably good shape. The hotels (several options) are large enough to offer an array of amenities though still small enough to give more personal service. Ocean Frontier's is a first class dive operation. Be aware, though, that this isn't likely wouldn't be one of your less expensive dive vacations.

All,

Grand Cayman is well on the way to recovery and a vacation booked in June will be fine.

Contrary to what you may be reading or have heard the island is doing pretty well.
Georgetown is fully functional and has been since Nov 1 when the cruise ships started re-visiting us.

Stay over tourists were arriving back from Nov 20th and here at Ocean Frontiers we were ready for them. Our Compass Point condos are up and running and so are our dive boats and we've been running trips nearly everyday since the 20th and have had guests staying with us.

Many restaurants and bars are open and many planning to re-open by Dec 15th.

The effort put in by many islanders has been truly outstanding
Yes....there will be signs of Ivan for a few years, but it will only impact your vacation to a small degree if at all.

Hope to see you down here.

Fraser

zf2nt:
I hate to be negative, but do have a minority opinion here about St. Maartin. A few years back my wife and I spent a week diving in Bonaire, then came back via a week on St. Maartin. Perhapts it was that juxtaposition of Bonaire with St. Maartin that colored our views, but nevertheless we thought the place was horrible and would never go back again. The traffic was horrendous, and we spent many hours stuck in traffic jams. There was obviously a big immigration problem with illegals from Haiti, and we were warned repeatedly about the crime problems on both sides of the island. On the French side, the restaurants were grossly overpriced. The Dutch side was interesting, but everything was very commercialized. It felt as if the whole island was being turned into one giant timeshare. The only high point came after we endured a two-hour pitch for a timeshare and won our prize of a boat trip to Saba. We did enjoy the diving on Saba and then touring around the island. In contrast, I don't recall a single thing about the diving off St. Maartin; it was quite unremarkable.
I totally agree with your assessment of St. Martin. Last time we were there, we stayed in two different hotels. In both cases, the management warned us to watch our valuables, limit foot travel to very specific places, etc. and especially at night. Saba, on the other hand, is without beaches but it is friendly, peaceful, quaint, and unique. Even my husband, who doesn't dive, loves this island. I do dive and find Saba a fantastic place to go for a marvelous dive experience. Consider staying at Orchid Cottage and flying in and out. Even the flights are a kick.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite June dive sights because the hotel rates are usually lower and there not as many divers on the island as compared to earlier in the year. Have deceided to try one of the " live-a-board" boats in the Caymans this year. You still get the same great diving and can go places the regular land base shops don't usually do because of time and distance. A live-a-board can hit the best dive sights on all three islands ...... I just need to deceide which boat I want to try .....

Almost all accomodations will be back and running WELL before June on Grand Cayman. Actually, MANY are up and running now, as Frase said. It is truly unbelievable how the island has worked together to get things cleaned up and running again. And the underwater is as beautiful as ever.
Scubapro50, to my knowledge, the only live aboard available is the Cayman Aggressor?
Cheers! Casey

I have checked and my January 3rd, 2005 Dive in GC is still on.

Back
Top Bottom