Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, just curious how, why you bothered, what you were looking for, etc. I normally wouldn't do that to a person, or if I did wouldn't be proud of it - throwing something back at them that they said years ago, but at least you quoted it instead of what I get otherwise here.

It's not being thrown back at you. I was trying to help you see, using your own words, that you do make valuable contributions. But there are times that you need to recognize when collective wisdom is telling you something is a bad idea. And if you recognize the quote, you know where I got it from. I didnt see the need to drag the rest of that thread into this discussion when it's not relevant.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/212059-missing-divers-found-safe-sound.html

This was the real start of this idea. When above you said a seasoned captain advised you to do this......... I just like real facts and closure.:D
Oh ok, I forfeited that long ago, but if you want to keep bringing it up too - then also post his quote...
THE REAL STORY
This is my first post, i have read your forum for years. The primary reason for this post is to give the real facts of this incident in the hopes of assisting others.
I am the person on board the boat during this dive and subsequent search. My wife and my best friend were the lost divers.
Both divers have seven years of diving experience. they both have several hundred dives in the keys and south west gulf--we spearfish. Both divers were familiar with the dive spot and had dove it multiple times
The Plan: 1st dive of the day 65 feet on a patch reef Near Alligator reef 4-5 miles out) swim about 50 yeards deaper to 85 feet shoot fish. surface same spot 30-40mins. Boat on GPS spot
Safty Equipment: Whistle both divers, red inflatable bag for signling.
What Happened : divers missed patch reef went to nearby patch reef. When they surfaced they could see the boat but it was further away than they could swim. After attempting to signal with Orange gloves on top of spear gun (and drifting further). They began to swim for the lights on channel 2 bridge.
On the boat: Divers down at 4pm, at 440pm im worried, but stay near gps spot drifting down current, I suspect they are up and glare from the low sun is keeping me from seeing them, but im afraid to stray too far from prearranged pick up. 500pm I call Coast Guard on VHF and declair an emergency. then I run down current looking for them. Coast Guard is there within 10 min and begin search from the drop spot. I look for my wife and best friend until 3am when the Coast Guard calls me to tell me they have come ashore at channel 2. I thank God and head home to hug my wife and best friend

Lessons Learned: Is it ok to start a dive 1.5 hours before sunset? Not for me anymore--there is just not enough time to find people if somthing goes wrong.
2. Everyone who dives off my boat will have a light. It was rough that night and it may not have helped but a strob might have.
3 everyone will have a dive weenie. I suspect in the glare I wouldnt have seen them this time but its a good idea.
4 everyone should carry a red or white blow up trash bag -you need somthing big to get searchers looking.

As people have talked to me about this incident many have recounted experiences the same or near misses of this kind. A word to the wise - when i read these kind of reports I often shrug them off as mistakes made by the uncareful or inexperienced. This can happen: expect the best but plan for the worst..
As a side note. GOD BLESS the Coast Guard.

Wow.....just wow. Still going. And now CD is a meanie for responding to requests??? I do agree that "one" should stop asking people to dig up old "not-so-flattering" threads because even if one person's interpretation was slightly skewed, it is unlikely to place you in a good light. Just my opinion.....

Actually, the "trash bag streamer" idea came up a little before that. They were suggested as a cheap alternative to a streamer for rescue from the air I believe.

I can't find the thread, but it would have been in the fall of '07 shortly after Nikki Cuomo went missing. A diver recounted his story of being adrift with his buddy. They tied themselves together with line (from a spear gun?) and signaled using a trash bag one had in a pocket.

(Maybe it was the season, but I envisioned the orange ones with the pumpkin faces, LOL)

Certainly a proper signalling device would be superior for all the reasons mentioned.

Nothing about putting a light inside. Although I'm remembering a time as a small child, when would attempt UFO hoaxes by building a frame from drinking straws at the mouth of a dry cleaning bag. We would melt wax and secure candles to the frame. The air would heat up in the bag (theoretically) and it would fly like a glowing hot air balloon. I mostly just burned up a lat of bags and got nasty burns on my body.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/212059-missing-divers-found-safe-sound.html

This was the real start of this idea. When above you said a seasoned captain advised you to do this......... I just like real facts and closure.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom