Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I'm not shocked that this was split off from the original. But I've read a ton of posts from live4sharks and never knew she was a she!

:jb: Surprise! He he he!

C:shark2:

Okay I am back, and I see that the other thread is closed. I wanted to agree with the posts that went up while I was at dinner...
> allowing plastic trash into the environment is horrible on land (I've dug many out of plows by hand) and rivers, worse in the sea!
> The garbage already floating in the oceans, especially in the middle of gyres, is horrible, but adding to it is unacceptable.
> I am all for outlawing plastic shopping bags, quite happy to take my own reusable bags for shopping, if we can ever push that thru.
> I gather trash I see in the sea for removal like most divers do, and so on...

Onespeeds points in the other thread...

1: Yep you win. I will never mention using a trash bag in any way other than to gather trash and recyclables.

2: The accusation of "mugging a diver" when I screwed up once and went OOA is a lie, typical Onespeed twisting of the truth to fit the attack but I've heard the term from your crew before. The incident is a matter of record. It serves as an example of poor planning, poor diving, etc. I learned a lot from that incident and the discussion, mostly about better diving, better gear configuration, more training and so on.
Another thing I learned: Don't ever share my mistakes here again for damned sure, but that one and several others I've made are recorded.​
3: So what the hell is this about a "sub surface smb" you keep claiming I posted about. Show me the link as I never heard of such. I want to see what you are referencing by another name again....?

Another thing I learned: Don't ever share my mistakes here again for damned sure, but that one and several others I've made are recorded.​

A long time ago you said:

DandyDon:
The Bible says "pride commeth before a fall," somewhere, I'm pretty sure, don't remember where, but when you find it - look for my picture.

There's nothing wrong with sharing your mistakes. The problem comes in when people fail to recognize when something is a mistake and dig their heels in debating an an intenable opinion while others make it a goal to point that out. Yeah, sometimes those debates get a bit heated, but in the end I think everyone learned something and mostly come to agreement.

A long time ago you said:
Wow, got to wonder how you dug that up. :confused:
There's nothing wrong with sharing your mistakes. The problem comes in when people fail to recognize when something is a mistake and dig their heels in debating an an intenable opinion while others make it a goal to point that out. Yeah, sometimes those debates get a bit heated, but in the end I think everyone learned something and mostly come to agreement.
Yeah, the reason I will never share a mistake I made in diving here again is because there are members who will twist my stories and throw them around like fact.

I said several hours ago that onespeed wins the bag thing, but he kept harping on that anyway, so don't tell me to admit anything here.

So, where is this submerged smb thread? I'd like to see it...?

You've just witnessed the amazing power of Cave Diver! This is nothing compared to some of his feats. This was simple research. He can part the rivers of division, and then post them in separate threads. He can tame the insolent, and ban the incorrigible. Heck - I've even seen him correct Pete!

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :wink:
Yeah, the reason I will never share a mistake I made in diving here again is because there are members who will twist my stories and throw them around like fact.

I said several hours ago that onespeed wins the bag thing, but he kept harping on that anyway, so don't tell me to admit anything here.
People only have the amount of power over you that you're willing to give them.
So, where is this submerged smb thread? I'd like to see it...?
I have no idea, I don't recall that one. But I have to wonder why you're encouraging someone to dig it up if you're concerned about your stories being twisted around. Seems like thats just adding fuel to the fire.

Thankyou for your comments. I dont know how this forum functions. If you guys want to repost this imfo anywhere else that more could see --have at it
cb
Snook, again - my heart goes out to you all three, as I am sure you were all just frantic, and I am so glad you had a happy ending.

I'm half guessing here, but from your post - I gather that they carried no signaling devices? Perhaps they took it as a simple dive they've done so many times and took the risks too lightly? I am not nearly as experienced, but I am guessing that this could happen with more easily with more experienced divers.

As I said above, I carry a lot of devices on every dive, and I think for my Bahama liveaboard in a few weeks, I think I'll add a white trash bag. Even at night, one could use a dive light shinning up the neck into the inflated bag to make the whole thing light up. The ones I have on hand are flimsy; I'll buy heavy duty next trip to the grocery.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/212059-missing-divers-found-safe-sound.html

This was the real start of this idea. When above you said a seasoned captain advised you to do this......... I just like real facts and closure.:D

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :wink:
Oh, just curious how, why you bothered, what you were looking for, etc. I normally wouldn't do that to a person, or if I did wouldn't be proud of it - throwing something back at them that they said years ago, but at least you quoted it instead of what I get otherwise here.
People only have the amount of power over you that you're willing to give them.
I don't know that is true, but I certainly wouldn't do so here.
I have no idea, I don't recall that one. But I have to wonder why you're encouraging someone to dig it up if you're concerned about your stories being twisted around. Seems like thats just adding fuel to the fire.
Nor do I, but onespeed said it was one of mine, which strikes me as a bigger lie than the mugged diver accusation. So....???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom