Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The following off topic discussion has been split off from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/350617-lost-confidence-diving.html

Why are you going thru the DM course? Why not just enjoy diving? Good answers here already, but I'll add mine...

1: Carry SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle on every dive to make finding your easier. I also carry a white trash bag for a night time too; fill with air and shine light into it.

2: Enjoy easier dives.

3: Dive with a good buddy when you can; a pony bottle helps too.

4: The Return key makes paragraphs; use often. :eyebrow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you going thru the DM course? Why not just enjoy diving? Good answers here already, but I'll add mine...

1: Carry SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle on every dive to make finding your easier. I also carry a white trash bag for a night time too; fill with air and shine light into it.

2: Enjoy easier dives.

3: Dive with a good buddy when you can; a pony bottle helps too.

4: The Return key makes paragraphs; use often. :eyebrow:

What brand and size trash bag do you prefer? It seems like anything over 13 gallons would be difficult to fill in an emergency. do you risk disconnecting your "air whistle" to fill the trash bag or is this done orally?

Have you met my stalker...?
What brand and size trash bag do you prefer? It seems like anything over 13 gallons would be difficult to fill in an emergency. do you risk disconnecting your "air whistle" to fill the trash bag or is this done orally?
A white trash bad is a poor smb in itself, but in addition to the other items I carry to help me be found - it can be a nice additional signaling item. I got that idea from a Florida boat captain who lost his wife and best friend to the sea for half a day, but fortunately found them after they managed to swim to shore. They'd carried nothing and it was one of the items he mentioned that should be carried. Not very durable but seem to ride in my BC for a week at a time ok, then still hold trash in later use. Even if the one I am carrying leaks when I need it, it would still serve as a white floating marker on the sea for someone looking for me with their lights.

It is funny how my stalker follows me around. :rofl3: I hear he's a good diver with a good life, but still must have some problems to devote attention to me like that. I'm sure he talked about this with his dog pile cohorts in private discussions. I never have time for him, but oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you met my stalker...?

A white trash bad is a poor smb in itself, but in addition to the other items I carry to help me be found - it can be a nice additional signaling item. I got that idea from a Florida boat captain who lost his wife and best friend to the sea for half a day, but fortunately found them after they managed to swim to shore. They'd carried nothing and it was one of the items he mentioned that should be carried. Not very durable but seem to ride in my BC for a week at a time ok, then still hold trash in later use. Even if the one I am carrying leaks when I need it, it would still serve as a white floating marker on the sea for someone looking for me with their lights.

It is funny how my stalker follows me around. :rofl3:

As for me being your stalker, it sounds like wishful thinking on your part. I just respond when I see anyone doling out stupid dive advice.

A.Have you ever noticed whitecaps are....WHITE? Perhaps that's why nobody manufactures any white SMB's.

B.Why not just carry at least one decent SMB, many of which have reflective tape that can be seen from a much greater distance at night than a Hefty bag. You really need to stop pushing the garbage bags Don, it's absolutely ridiculous.

B.Why not just carry at least one decent SMB, many of which have reflective tape that can be seen from a much greater distance at night than a Hefty bag. You really need to stop pushing the garbage bags Don, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I can't see any problem with carrying a white garbage bag in addition to an SMB. The notion of making a sort of floating lantern out of the bag and a flashlight (for night rescues) is appealing since it will sit high in the water without you having to hold it. An SMB, on the other hand, works great while you are keeping it upright, but pretty much vanishes when you let it lay on the water.

I can't see any problem with carrying a white garbage bag in addition to an SMB. The notion of making a sort of floating lantern out of the bag and a flashlight (for night rescues) is appealing since it will sit high in the water without you having to hold it. An SMB, on the other hand, works great while you are keeping it upright, but pretty much vanishes when you let it lay on the water.

I'm pretty sure my 21W HID would melt it.:D

I'm pretty sure my 21W HID would melt it.:D

Are you sure that it wouldn't simply heat the air and cause the bag to float in the air?

Since it would be tethered to your canister at least it wouldn't float away. :)

Or you could just use your backup light inside the bag.. We DO carry a backup light, dont we?

Actually white is the worst color for an smb. Red, orange, yellow, in that order for visibility choices. As for lighting, I shine my light right up the smb and have a giant glowing orange tube. This way you don't need the sketchy trash bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom