Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually white is the worst color for an smb. Red, orange, yellow, in that order for visibility choices. As for lighting, I shine my light right up the smb and have a giant glowing orange tube. This way you don't need the sketchy trash bag.
Red light dont travel as well as white light though, if the lantern part of it is the point..

Red light dont travel as well as white light though, if the lantern part of it is the point..

And the Op was in daytime diving. This had nothing to do with night or day, I believe. This was DD giving signaling equipment advice. And if you get pulled out on a night drift, trust me the standard orange/yellow smb glows brightly.

From the TDI Deco procedures manual:
Yellow Or Red Over White
A yellow or red lift bag or surface marker buoy, is easier to spot in the ocean than a white one. It‟s hard to differentiate between a white lift bag and wave crests. Winds of only seven to ten knots produce white caps although the seas will only be two feet high.

This thread has gone the onespeedway...

I've never used my white bag, just my red smb and whistle at times, but I don't think it'll hurt to carry it since it takes no room. Hate to want it and not have it.

This thread has gone the onespeedway...

Yes Don, everyone who dares disagree with you is a stalker or dogpiler. If you want to carry a useless trash bag go right ahead, my beef is with you spewing ridiculous advice to others.

Do we? :eek:

I just tow this bad boy everywhere I go so I don't have to worry about getting seperated from the boat. My only question is, should I paint it white?

marine3Big.jpg

That is awesome. How did you get your dive boat sponsored?

I just tow this bad boy everywhere I go so I don't have to worry about getting seperated from the boat. My only question is, should I paint it white?

4954513231_0bbb8be475.jpg

Actually white is the worst color for an smb. Red, orange, yellow, in that order for visibility choices. As for lighting, I shine my light right up the smb and have a giant glowing orange tube. This way you don't need the sketchy trash bag.

My smb is orange/red on one side and yellow on the other. It lights up like a candle if I put my light inside it. However, when it comes to staying illuminated and visible at a distance with no diver intervention, the plastic bag doesn't need to be held up by the diver while an smb (well, mine at least), left on its own, will lie flat in the water.

Originally posted by DandyDon
A white trash bad is a poor smb in itself, but in addition to the other items I carry to help me be found - it can be a nice additional signaling item. I got that idea from a Florida boat captain who lost his wife and best friend to the sea for half a day, but fortunately found them after they managed to swim to shore. They'd carried nothing and it was one of the items he mentioned that should be carried.

I'd be more worried that the Captain who recommended the trash bag Lost His Wife to the sea for half a day [with no signaling device]. They swam to shore before he found them......Not sure he'd be my role model.

I like Don's posts - he's so - enthusiastic. I'd hate to travel with him, though. The eight days of pre-packing and the necessary checklist would be brutal.
flowerforyou.gif
(flower for you, Don)

How'd we get to the SMBs from the free flow? :confused:

This thread was useful in that I researched sealed regs. Then found out I have one . . . duh. Thanks for that discussion.

To the OP: I have had some near panic dives. I hope you get over it. Take it easy and slow, just enjoy. Somewhere shallow, no task-loading, as was suggested, was helpful for me. It's s'posed to be fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom