Alternative signaling methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My smb is orange/red on one side and yellow on the other. It lights up like a candle if I put my light inside it. However, when it comes to staying illuminated and visible at a distance with no diver intervention, the plastic bag doesn't need to be held up by the diver while an smb (well, mine at least), left on its own, will lie flat in the water.

So how difficult is it to hold an SMB upright?

I like Don's posts - he's so - enthusiastic. I'd hate to travel with him, though. The eight days of pre-packing and the necessary checklist would be brutal.
No one helps me pack and only tipped porters help me carry. I usually find cheap ways to get private rooms like the huge one I had in Coz last week for $27/night, nice place too. My bud had the connecting one with a couch instead of my dining table; no snoring or bathroom competition - we loved it.

When someone needs a roomy, I warn them about my snoring & stuff, offer ear plugs, keep all my stuff on one side of the room, and share things he forgot to bring.
How'd we get to the SMBs from the free flow? :confused:
I can't believe I'm arguing with people about garbage bags as SMB's. :banghead:
It amazes me that you start these things...? :idk:

It amazes me that you start these things...? :idk:

I believe this was started when you said it was a good idea to bring a trash bag on a dive as a piece of safety gear... seriously? An f'ing trash bag?

A white trash bad is a poor smb in itself, but in addition to the other items I carry to help me be found - it can be a nice additional signaling item. I got that idea from a Florida boat captain who lost his wife and best friend to the sea for half a day, but fortunately found them after they managed to swim to shore. They'd carried nothing and it was one of the items he mentioned that should be carried. Not very durable but seem to ride in my BC for a week at a time ok, then still hold trash in later use. Even if the one I am carrying leaks when I need it, it would still serve as a white floating marker on the sea for someone looking for me with their lights.

Well, I'm going to agree that I don't like the white trash bag solution.

But the problem you're trying to solve has a better solution, a rescue streamer:

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/buyonline.html

This whole discussion of what's a useful signaling device is probably more than a bit off the original topic. If you're looking for more information, have a look at this discussion: Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

My conclusions from this are, fairly intuitively, when relatively close by and the searcher is on the surface, something bright and tall like an SMB is workable. The taller the better, and past a certain point, height is probably more valuable than width, which makes an SMB more convenient than a lift bag. Once you get far away, or searchers are in the air, the value of an SMB become very small and width or horizontal extent becomes important. Ideally, wide and tall is best, but there's a certain practical trade-off, and very few divers find it convenient to routinely carry around 1000 lb lift bags just in case. Tools like streamers, dye-packs or yes, garbage bags aren't ideal in all situations, but have their conveniences in terms of size, cost and availability.

Somewhat separate from that is color. You can argue endlessly about that, and people do, even professional safety gear manufacturers, let alone us amateurs.

I haven't gone back and re-read the entire thread, but I though the comment about garbage bags (i.e. a large sheet of floatable plastic which you might be able to wave in the air) wasn't presented as an 'instead of an SMB', but as something in addition to more conventional signaling gear that basically takes up almost zero room and cost, that you could stuff in your pocket just in case. (BTW, IIRC in the signaling equipment thread, I think some professional SAR people thought they'd find it easier to see orange Halloween garbage bags than other colors.)

Last edited:
I believe this was started when you said it was a good idea to bring a trash bag on a dive as a piece of safety gear... seriously? An f'ing trash bag?
Nope, nice spin attempt - but wrong. Since you may be going on what you heard without confirming...
1: Carry SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle on every dive to make finding your easier. I also carry a white trash bag for a night time too; fill with air and shine light into it.
I suggested the SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle and added the other as a harmless extra - which my stalker escalated with sarcasm, unsafe diving insinuations, etc. Pretty disruptive but everyone has their style.
Well, I'm going to agree that I don't like the white trash bag solution.

But the problem you're trying to solve has a better solution, a rescue streamer:

http://www.rescuestreamer.com/buyonline.html
Wonderful idea, but like many other good ideas - just more than most divers will carry. For those who will, great.

I suggested the SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle and added the other as a harmless extra - which my stalker escalated with sarcasm, unsafe diving insinuations, etc. Pretty disruptive but everyone has their style.

I respond to about one of your ridiculous posts every three months or so, hardly makes me a stalker, you sound like the one who's obsessed. Sorry I didn't agree with the garbage bag smb but I'm not one to support dangerous and stupid ideas.

I'm not one to support dangerous and stupid ideas.
Well of course not. You have a Report button on every post, do you not?

Whereas your style is only to ridicule ideas, rather than offering any of your own. :idk: Never have to standy behind anything you don't offer huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom