Alternatives to 2nd Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you have 2, but are 'inspired' to have the harsher shadows from a single strobe.. nothing stopping you from turning the 2nd one around, or straight to the side.. away from the photo.

Art

I heard a friend talking about using a metal/aluminium plate as a reflector (the type of plate included in a lunch box for a picknick outdoors). He told me he saw a underwater photographer taking a plate out of the pocket of his jacket, and holding it as a reflector opposite to the strobe. It seems he also used the convex or the concave side of the plate to achieve a more or less concentrated reflection. I bought my first strobe last week, so I don't have any experience about that subject (and many other ones), but the idea sounded good. At least it's "slightly" cheaper than a second strobe. I will try it.
Hidroj

tsreimer:
Hi All:

I will most likely only use one strobe to start out with my digital compact camera. (I will eventually get a second one when i upgrade to a housing for my DSLR) In the mean time for non-WA shots, do you have any tips for making the lighting more even? Do people try mixed lighting (dive light or reflectors/white cards) or do any other tricks?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I agree with Alcina that one strobe can be very effective. It's all I'm using, and the results are generally good. I think it's largely a matter of position. With one strobe one needs to light from a middle angle like above or directly at the subject from a straight on perspective, or just off to the side. With two strobes one lights from both sides.

Shadows can be an issue, but a photographer can learn to work with one strobe. Reflecting light UW may be useful, but I've not tried it. Reflectors topside are generally silver, or white. To reflect light one will have to position the reflector in such a way so that the strobe is bouncing off the reflector, and onto the subject. A rule of thumb with a reflector is that it should be at least the size of the subject. Holding a reflector while hoding the housing, composing, focusing, and firing may end up a difficult task.

One light could be used in good lighting conditions to create a lighting ratio that is more pleasing than the 1:1 ratio that duel strobes will produce if set at he same output setting. However duel strobes can be used by setting the out put on one to full, and the second to half to create a 1:2 ratio.

Here are a couple shots done with a single strobe:

65026878.jpg

64513114.jpg

In both these cases I had good light and reasonable vis, so the flash was used to bring out the natrual colors that would have otherwise been absent due to the water filtering out mainly red.

Hey Ron:

Thanks for the detailed reply and the great examples! I will be fining out for myself very soon when my strobe comes along. I will try out your tips and see how it goes.

-Todd-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom