Alternatives to 2nd Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsreimer

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All:

I will most likely only use one strobe to start out with my digital compact camera. (I will eventually get a second one when i upgrade to a housing for my DSLR) In the mean time for non-WA shots, do you have any tips for making the lighting more even? Do people try mixed lighting (dive light or reflectors/white cards) or do any other tricks?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

really? gives some contrast, or what?

catherine96821:
really? gives some contrast, or what?
Depth of field perhaps.

Texture. I think dual strobes provide better texture. Varying output from the strobes (one stronger than the other) gives softer shadows and better texture than one strobe, which usually results in very harsh shadows, esp if the light is coming in from the side.

tsreimer:
Hi All:

I will most likely only use one strobe to start out with my digital compact camera. (I will eventually get a second one when i upgrade to a housing for my DSLR) In the mean time for non-WA shots, do you have any tips for making the lighting more even? Do people try mixed lighting (dive light or reflectors/white cards) or do any other tricks?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Reflector cards/white boards might work. The strobe has to be angled from one side and the reflector set on the other side. The idea is the get some light from the strobe reflected to the other side of the subject (ie the reflector acts as a second "strobe") to reduce the harshness of the shadow caused by the strobe. But getting it right requires a fair bit of practice. I gave up and bought a second strobe :D

Here are a couple of pics.. one with one strobe, the other with 2.

One Strobe

2 strobes

Dual strobes do offer a variety of options that you won't have with a single strobe - just like adding a WA lens will offer options that you don't have without it :wink:

Although I see what you are trying to illustrate with the two photos above, it's kinda a misrepresentation as you have can have much more evenly lit subjects with a single strobe if it is used to create that look.

Single or dual it doesn't really matter - you need to learn how to use them. Some people do really well by jumping in with both feet and heading for duals; others find that working with and mastering a single strobe is plenty for quite a while.

Don't forget things like dual strobes are "harder" to push through the water and you can't stick your rig in areas that are really tight as effectively; but you might be able to light something that wouldn't otherwise be possible with a single. Everything in underwater photography is give and take. A single strobe will often give you a shadow where you might not want it - you need to learn how to control that to make it work for you. That might mean exaggerating the shadow, eliminating the shadow or getting the shadow to complement the rest of the image.

Shadow uses: drama, mood, knock out distracting elements or backgrounds, to make the subject pop from the frame, to concentrate attention... Just like every other compositional and capturing tool/trick, it's a matter of finding what works for you in each image. And if you want feedback from others, finding out what attracts other viewers.

One or two (or more) - you can do all sorts of creative things! Happily, there is no one way to do this whole uw photo thing :wink:

I know what you mean. I started with a single and would still use a single sometimes :). I guess having 2 strobes does give more options, esp when it comes to WA shots. You can get more evenly lit subjects with one strobe, but there will always be harsh shadows sometimes that spoil a picture. To me, dual strobes gives more flexibility. I can control the shadows better, and also control the softness of the shadows. One strobe does have a fair bit of limitations.

I would not suggest that anyone jump into dual strobes immediately though. Get used to one strobe first. Learn how to place the strobe for maximum effect. Two strobes will be more challenging, but also more rewarding.

Hi All:

Thanks to everyone for their perspective on this matter. Any additional creative tips that people have tried (whether successful or not) are appreciated!

Thanks,

-Todd-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom