Aluminum vs Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring:
Can't we just post a link to one of the last 15 conversations we already had about this? :)
Those conversations are about as informative as your comments and Jeff G's.

Boomx5 is only a teensy weensy bit more informative: "The problem with this discussion is you can't just throw a "sticky" on it and say this is the only way to dive like this. Body types are different, water type is different (salt vs fresh) exposure protection is different, gear type is different. Use the right tool for the environment in which you'll be diving. Oh, and having a balance rig is the right way to do it and it shouldn't be done any other way."

and "..there is a bit more to it than AL tanks for wet, and steel for dry. And just being able to swim your gear off the bottom doesn't necessarily mean you have a balanced rig. It's just that there is more to it and I don't wish to spend an hour typing the definition of a balanced rig because typing is not my strong suit...it just takes to long."

Charlie99:
Those conversations are about as informative as your comments and Jeff G's.

Boomx5 is only a teensy weensy bit more informative: "The problem with this discussion is you can't just throw a "sticky" on it and say this is the only way to dive like this. Body types are different, water type is different (salt vs fresh) exposure protection is different, gear type is different. Use the right tool for the environment in which you'll be diving. Oh, and having a balance rig is the right way to do it and it shouldn't be done any other way."

and "..there is a bit more to it than AL tanks for wet, and steel for dry. And just being able to swim your gear off the bottom doesn't necessarily mean you have a balanced rig. It's just that there is more to it and I don't wish to spend an hour typing the definition of a balanced rig because typing is not my strong suit...it just takes to long."
OK...then I will be just evil and say "Take the Class" LOL (or ask George)

plus I don't think Oring and I are trying to be informative :wink:

Wilbur is warming up for his premier act....sitting in the back of hall warming up his voice....enters center stage...looks out over the crowd...Opens his mouth "OOOOOOOOINK"

Wow Charlie.. I saw all of your other posts hounding people to define the term balanced rig for you.

It looks to me like you got a couple of very nice definitions and overviews of the term... I really have to ask why you're so interested in this term, to the point where you ask everyone who uses it to define it for you? What is the real motivation here?

jonnythan:
Wow Charlie.. I saw all of your other posts hounding people to define the term balanced rig for you.

It looks to me like you got a couple of very nice definitions and overviews of the term... I really have to ask why you're so interested in this term, to the point where you ask everyone who uses it to define it for you? What is the real motivation here?
The only real definitions were mine and the one by Pants. There were some posts that hinted at the complexity of a balanced rig. And a lot of posts like O-ring and Jeff G's above.

No agenda here, other than learning. Many times, asking the simple question "please explain" or "what do you mean by that" has resulted in new insights.

Charlie Allen

It is having a rig that is near enough to neutral when the tanks are full that one can swim them up in the event of a buoyancy failure without the need for redundant lift beyond a wing and drysuit. Additionally, swimming them up should be easy enough that you can complete all your deco stops along the way without substantial effort.

IMO, it's as simple as that.

Charlie99:
Please explain what you mean by "balanced rig".

Soggy:
It is having a rig that is near enough to neutral
or to be able to drop "something" that would get the rig to that state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom