Am i bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call DAN..not me the other DAN and they can give you an "official" opinion. On another note, these dives are deco dives and a 5 minute safety stop is not enough time according to most of the dive tables out there. In the future pay closer attention to your depths and times. Just stopping for 5 minutes when you go over your NDL limits will get you into trouble someday. Plan your dive and dive your plan.

I will happily amend my previous posts by saying, "It is my opinion, as a person who is not a diving medicine expert, that is is unlikely to be DCS." Note the lack of the word highly. My opinion is changed and I posted prematurely.

My advice is unchanged. OP, have you called DAN yet?

There, everybody happy now?

Oh. OP..

At least pick up the phone and call DAN. (Divers Alert Network)

I will happily amend my previous posts by saying, "It is my opinion, as a person who is not a diving medicine expert, that is is unlikely to be DCS." Note the lack of the word highly. My opinion is changed and I posted prematurely.

My advice is unchanged. OP, have you called DAN yet?

There, everybody happy now?

that is much better thank you. Although you forgot to add the DAN phone # +1-919-684-9111

On my dive computer simulation the first dive alone would have put him 25 minutes over ndl.

I'm not a deco diver but of curiosity I looked up the navy table

Navy Rules feet 80 time 50 Ascent 2.7min Deco 20 2min Deco10 26min 30.7 total deco time: So if the internet is to be believed on square profile he cut out 25 minutes of deco roughly on Dive 1?

I pulled out my trusty nasds safe scuba diving tables.

My tables state that the ndl for 80 feet is 40 minutes.

With that in mind, I flipped the table over, found 80 feet for 50 minutes and read a stop should have been made at 10 feet for ten minutes.

Your rgd in now a k.

I scrolled over to a surface interval of between .50 minutes and 1.11 (1 hour, 11 minutes )

I exited the table at a I designation.

I think you exceeded your second dive, by a short surface interval, as you had 61 minutes of residual nitrogen.

Once again, I flipped the table over. As there is no designation for 61 minutes, I had to go to 70 minutes, which required a stop at 10 feet for 2 minutes.

I then pulled out my us navy diving manual, volume 1, air diving.

I turned to chapter 8, diving emergencies, page 8-12, heading diagnosis of decompression sickness, 8.3.2.1 sickness, here's a short reading,
-50% occurred within 30 minutes
-85% occurred within 1 hour
-95% occurred within 3 hours
-1% delayed more than 6 hours

" symptoms which occur 24 hours or more following a dive are probably not caused by decompression sickness".

Also remember this information is intended for naval personal in excellent shape.

I hope in some small way this helps.

On my dive computer simulation the first dive alone would have put him 25 minutes over ndl.

Mine as well (assuming a square profile)

ha ha well if i die I'll die laughing at all this. Walk away for lunch and holy moly. I called DAN -gave the guy the lowdown- and he said it was extremely unlikely it was decompression sickness for a varitety of reasons.

He cited among other things that any symptons would have surfaced within the first day for sure and said if there were symptoms i would have felt them on the plane for sure.

I have probably logged 200 dives without any issues at all and am pretty dafety conscious. On this trip (with family) we stayed at an all inclusive resort and they kept bringing beers and drinks and stuff through out the day and i have to say i had much more than i normally ever do (not that i was drunk or anything). I just know how dehydration can play a part. I consider myself in above average shape etc.

I guess a couple of things that I'll remember 1) ask when the diving will be completed -most 2 tank dives i have been on leave 8-8:30ish and you are out of the water on your second dive by 11:30ish at the latest and we surfaced around 12:30. i started getting worried thinking if i have left enough time between last dive and flying since it was exactly 24 hours. Reading some online most seam to think less time that 24 hours is typically ok. 2) make sure i am properly hydrated. 3) review the dive plan - it was a last minute trip and probably didn't do my due diligence.

Now an interesting tidbit- had a couple on the boat both with dive computers and hers told her she was in deco but his did not and they "wrote it off" on her dive watch being "screwy"... Hope they took the safe route.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread cleaned up. If you'd like to call each other names please take it to PM's so the rest of us won't have to put up with it.

Any more thread hijacks here will result in bans from the thread, forum or SB entirely depending on the severity.

Back
Top Bottom