Am I obligated to buy gear from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

breechan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, appreciate any advice you can give. :D

Some background:

I recently completed my OW cert in Autumn, and did a bunch of dives on a trip to Australia so I'm still pretty new at diving. I have a 3mm suit, mask, snorkel, fins and booties. Since I live on the Canadian prairies, there's a small diving community and not a lot of competition. I'm a member of my local LDS club which organizes winter pool dives and fun events, lake dives in the summer and trips. I'm really enthusiastic about SCUBA but don't have tons of money to spend.

My question is whether I'm sort of obligated to buy from them. I would want to have my gear serviced by my LDS of course. I'm wondering if I I showed up at the shop wanting to have a reg serviced that I bought off scubatoys (way better prices), would that be taboo? Would they give me a hard time?

Also, would it be a suitable compromise if I bought my regs at the LDS and bought my BC and console online? :idk:

Am I stressing too much over something thats not really that big of a deal?

I just don't want to do something rude or taboo unknowingly. Someone on the scubachat told me yesterday that asking my LDS about used gear was taboo....whoops! :paranoid:

I'm not familiar with scubatoys but I know leisurepro.com often has lower prices than our LDS. However, they are not an authorized dealer for scubapro and there are warnings about how the free parts aren't covered if you buy from them. Plus, buying local means I have someone I can turn to if there is ever an issue about anything with the gear... not just the service/maintenance. I can understand being drawn to the lower prices but I'd make sure the customer support is there first and that the lower price is really worth not having a face to deal with. For me, it usually isn't.

I'll also say since I bought all my gear through my LDS I wouldn't feel too bad about picking up other pieces here and there.

Although some LDS will require that you buy some gear from them in exchange for a lower price on classes, it is my opinion (as a non-expert in legal matters) that unless you have some sort of contract with the LDS to do so, you have no obligation. One thing to consider is that some LDS will not service equipment bought on-line (and some on-line products do not come with a factory warranty, only one from the on-line retailer). My LDS gives me no problem at all with any of my gear. I do get it all serviced by them.

if it was not a lot of money then I would buy from the LDS, them being in business is more important to you as you say there is not a lot of competition and they provide you with services you will not have should they go out of business. obviously one sale will not put them out of business, however the concept is there.

now I have been known to buy stuff at Scubatoys.com they rock and they are just down the street from me (5 hour street).:D

Some retail dive stores will blackball you if you buy from anyone other than them. You just have to decide is their friendship worth the extra money or not. Long ago I decided it was my money and I am not very friendly anyways, so I buy the cheapest price for an item. But, there are legitimate reasons to do otherwise, advancing your certifications, friendship, loyality to a group, good will amongst men, you have to decide what YOU value. Those things have value also.

Yeah, they may well get bent out of shape over your buying elsewhere, been there, done that.

Oh, in college I worked and i---------- at a dive shop. I see it from the inside also, I understand their views. I prefer being on the outside now.

N

Scubatoys is an authorized dealer for all products they sell. BUT, some manufacturers treat the USA and Canada as seperate markets so they may not be recognized as an authorized dealer in Canada.

With limited retailers and diving opportunities, you are over a barrel. I opt to save money and take care of my own gear and diving. You might want to talk to other local divers and club members and get a feel for how the shop may react to buying elsewhere or even discussing competitive pricing with them.

Breechan
It's really up to you where you purchase your gear. I, personally make all my purchases at my LDS. They need money to stay in business, for one, and if they close you'll loose all those perks you mentioned. The other issues is warranty and servcice. You're in Canada, so not all warranties are transferable across borders. ANd if the LDS refuses to service the gear, you're looking at $$ to ship it and get it serviced. A dive buddy had to fork out $200 to have his reg services and most of the cost was shipping.

My 2cents

GeneV

As Nemrod said, some shops are good about this, and others aren't. There IS definitely some value to being able to service the gear you have locally, rather than sending it away somewhere, although I have heard that ScubaToys' turnaround time is quick (and my LDS's isn't always!)

What I do is take the deals I can get elsewhere to my LDS and offer them the chance to match the price. Sometimes they can, and sometimes they can't. If it comes close, I generally buy from them, because then I have somebody to complain to if things don't work :)

I work in a LDS. I'm also a tightwad. As others have posted, I think you have to weigh the amount saved by going online against the good will you'll create by going with the LDS. This assumes that the LDS is an honest small business not out to screw people because they're the only game in town. Just about every LDS is a small business and they'll go out of their way to help their customers. They are WELL aware that without customers they have no business.

Yeah--you can save (sometimes considerable) money by going online and I'm sure they're mostly honest. But wouldn't it be better for you and your local community to spend a little more and keep the money in town?

Just my two pennies' worth...

The problem with LDS's is that the owners/operators take it personal sometimes if you don't spend your money there.

here is my advise.
  • Buy the brand gear that you want at the place that suits YOU best. This might be your LDS or online.
  • If your LDS doesn't have a bad attitude/ego and has decent pricing and treats you right, make an attempt to support them.
  • If your LDS is good and you like them, but they are overpriced, give them the opportunity to price match an online shop. Most online shops are authorized dealers of almost everything they sell. so the warranty is the same. (only major exception is Leisure Pro selling Aqualung and Scubapro and maybe a few other things).
  • If they don't have good pricing and have bad attitudes/ego's and you want to shop elsewhere, remember it's your wallet. it's your choice.
  • Any LDS that gives you crap for buying online should be avoided.
  • any LDS that gives you crap for buying used gear should be avoided. (I mean they are still going to make money on the gear servicing it most of the time... and on possible upgrades. why piss off a customer for future sales?)
  • If you get any crap from a LDS, explain to the owner that you WANT to be his customer and spend money in his store but that you don't need the attitude. Tell him you'll give him the opportunity to sell him anything first but that he doesn't always carry every brand and also that you understand he might not be able to price match every item. However, you want to make him your primary LDS for purchases. If he is a smart businessman, he'll agree and want/earn your business. If not, it's your wallet. vote with it.

I'm really surprised that more people in the small LDS industry don't take a more positive stance as shop owners to keep our business. I mean any potential sale they loose puts them closer to permanently locking the doors in today's competitive business.

My local LDS has already taken that stance. They want customers business and will price match anyone. They don't want that sale going elsewhere. More LDS's should be this way.

Back
Top Bottom