Am I obligated to buy gear from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a Canadian who is upfront with his local LDS - I tell them what the gear costs at, say, LiesurePro (LP), I factor in exchange, duty (usually zero), GST, and shipping (either to the border or to my house, I explain which and why) and ask them how close they can come to the price. Sometimes they can come close, sometimes they can't. Caveat: I dicker about the large-ticket items: BCs, regs, computers. Frankly I can't be bothered to argue about the price of a finger spool.

I routinely get LP-purchased regs serviced in Canada (typo: I meant to type that I routinely get regs that I purchased while abroad and lost the receipts for serviced in Canada). Anyone who tells you that there is an efficient serial number tracking system in place to catch "grey-market" goods in Canada is a liar. In fact, many gear producers decry the likes of LP (purely for public consumption) while pushing huge volumes of gear, destined for them, out the back door.

Luckily my LDS believes that some business is better than no business. It also might help that I have done my AOW, SRD, and MD training at the same place. I also do dive trips with my LDS. They get my support through training (close to 100% profit) and trips, but not for grotesquely marked-up regs and computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom