Am I obligated to buy gear from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, appreciate any advice you can give. :D

Some background:

I recently completed my OW cert in Autumn, and did a bunch of dives on a trip to Australia so I'm still pretty new at diving. I have a 3mm suit, mask, snorkel, fins and booties. Since I live on the Canadian prairies, there's a small diving community and not a lot of competition. I'm a member of my local LDS club which organizes winter pool dives and fun events, lake dives in the summer and trips. I'm really enthusiastic about SCUBA but don't have tons of money to spend.

My question is whether I'm sort of obligated to buy from them. I would want to have my gear serviced by my LDS of course. I'm wondering if I I showed up at the shop wanting to have a reg serviced that I bought off scubatoys (way better prices), would that be taboo? Would they give me a hard time?

Also, would it be a suitable compromise if I bought my regs at the LDS and bought my BC and console online? :idk:

Am I stressing too much over something thats not really that big of a deal?

I just don't want to do something rude or taboo unknowingly. Someone on the scubachat told me yesterday that asking my LDS about used gear was taboo....whoops! :paranoid:

Well... the short answer is it's *your* money and *you* decide how you spend it. If the LDS doesn't like it, that's not your problem.

The long story is that some shop owners are such boobs that you will find yourself unwelcome in the pool if you don't buy your gear at the shop. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. If your shop is one like that then I would personally recommend looking for a new shop. If you can't because it's the only shop in town then you have to ask yourself how much the membership in the club is worth to you. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

Another thing to consider is that the LDS isn't going to be looking forward to servicing gear they didn't sell to you. They may not be qualified to service it in some cases but even if they are, you may get the "slow boat" treatment, especially if they tend (as they should) to put their own customers first. It might not even be vindictive. Like I said, it's in the LDS's best interests to treat their own customers like gold so you may have to wait.

A tactic I've tried with success is to print the online page for an article you want to buy and simply ask the LDS if they're willing to match that price. In some cases they can't or won't but it's brought me big discounts in the past. Remember, in many cases what irks the shop owners the most is that they didn't get the *chance* to try making a sale. If you haggle with them, you may find that they're willing to play along.

R..

If you buy from a LDS you should bargain. See if they can offer extra incentives such as free air for a year, discounts on additional classes, etc.

Realistically if you mantain your gear well the only item that will require regular service is your regulator. So all the rest you buy where you like and for the reg make a judgement call.
Personally I would stay away from shops that do not service gear bought elsewhere. If you are a service centre on which basis you are refusing service? Out of order

My question is whether I'm sort of obligated to buy from them. I would want to have my gear serviced by my LDS of course. I'm wondering if I I showed up at the shop wanting to have a reg serviced that I bought off scubatoys (way better prices), would that be taboo? Would they give me a hard time?

Also, would it be a suitable compromise if I bought my regs at the LDS and bought my BC and console online? :idk:

Am I stressing too much over something thats not really that big of a deal?

I just don't want to do something rude or taboo unknowingly. Someone on the scubachat told me yesterday that asking my LDS about used gear was taboo....whoops! :paranoid:

I think your best bet is to approach your LDS with the questions. Be honest and tell them that you want to be supportive of their business but you also have to look out for yourself.

Ask them if they offer any deals or specials. Maybe used gear, or stuff from last year. See if they can offer any other type of incentive to offset costs, such as fills, etc.

Your business is theirs to lose. Tell them what you want and give them the opportunity to deliver. Their reaction will likely give you good guidance in how to proceed.

LDS are usually willing to work with you.Can they match an unauthorized price? Usually no,but look at it this way.I work out of a LDS that has its own heated indoor pool.If a customer that we taught and sold gear to wants to use the pool to pratice then it is no charge to use the pool and the tanks/weights that are at the pool side.That has value in itself.Buy elsewhere then there is a charge to use the pool.Will the LDS work on gear purchased elsewhere,sure we will.BUT there is a charge for parts if purchased from unauthorized dealer and if you need a next day rush then there is a rush fee.We are currently offering a deal to people taking a ow course,do not know yet how long it will last.
The deal is buy a regulator from the store-any new regulator-(scubapro-sherwood-oceanic) at msrp complete with alternate air source and a computer and the course is FREE (we charge $269. for a weekend course) ow training dives not included.Student MUST purchase before course is fininished.That means if you are doing training dives elsewhere must purchase before getting referral forms.If doing dives with us must purchase immediately after ow training dives.

Being from the Canadian prairies myself (originally form Sask.), I think I would try hard to give the LDS the biz. When buying online, you have to factor in exchange, duty and shipping costs. And, if the LDS won't service your gear, you're paying shipping cost again, both ways. Canada Post isn't exactly cheap or fast to get packages to the States. I just spent $30 to ship a canister light (one way) to Light Monkey for service.
For sure the LDS is going to be more expensive than online. But that's how shops stay in biz, from gear sales. Just think how much it costs to heat that pool that you're using up here ( and it -30C). Besides, they're from the prairies...they're good people!

NO! It's your money, buy from wherever you want (so long as they are an authorized dealer). Shop owners that treat people like that are not looking for repeat customers, and if they are they are going about it the WRONG way.

An LDS has to earn business, not expect it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems there's two opposing schools of thought on this topic. :( However, I'm starting to get a clearer picture.

I think that anything that needs servicing, I'll probably buy at my LDS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be regs and BC? I suppose a tank is pretty basic so it shouldn't matter where I get it from, so long as it's properly tested/stamped etc.

After factoring in exchange rate, shipping, warranty issues etc, it's probably best to go with my LDS for my main equipment. They have lots of catalogs, so I'm sure they would order something in for me and if I don't like the price, I don't need to buy it.

My LDS is a big fan of the Cobra 2 COB5 BC....any thoughts? :eyebrow:

Just checked on Scubatoys. Shipping for a regulator is $37US. Plus there may duty (depending on where parts were manufactured) and brokerage fees. Have a look at everything before you decide where to buy. I'm also one of those that like to have something physically in my hand when I'm paying for it, just something reassuring about that.
And make sure you're comparing apples to apples. In our climate, you're going to want a cold water reg.
Yes, it is your money, and you can shop where ever you want. But I wonder what that guy in Tampa, Florida says if I say "Don't buy American". Ship all the jobs to third world countries where the labor is cheaper. Buy all your goods from China, cause it's cheaper. I'm sure this would cause a bit of a stink. There's nothing wrong with trying to support the local economy. But, that's me. I live in the prairies. I remember how isolated it used to be. We were always the last to get franchises because our small population didn't make it feasible.
If it's worth it to you to have a local LDS, then support it. If not, shop elsewhere. It's your decision.

Back
Top Bottom