Am I obligated to buy gear from my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that anything that needs servicing, I'll probably buy at my LDS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be regs and BC? I suppose a tank is pretty basic so it shouldn't matter where I get it from, so long as it's properly tested/stamped etc.

I'd say that's about right.

MY LDS owner told me that if I was to buy a BCD online I'd be hardpressed to find a local guy to service it. While I understand where he's coming from, I think his hard stance is somewhat oppositional to good business practices...but I had intended to by the BCD from him anyway because he gives me such breaks on gas fills and other purchases that it's more than worth the relatively small price difference.

Plus he configured the BCD for me by swapping out the Air2 regulator from old to new, and we determined that the hose that comes with the new BCD was too short for me to effectively use in a gas sharing situation (and the old hose wasn't compatible with the new BCD) so he pulled out his parts book and ordered me a longer hose, and he's going to configure the dump valve and cable to fit properly.

That's something I wouldn't know how to do on my own.

Breechan, I think it really depends on the price difference. I am happy to pay about 10% more than online for local goods, as I figure 10% is a good service price. I try to buy local whereever possible but often it just is not financially feasible. The shop I go to never complains when I buy elsewhere and services the gear no questions asked. The shop I trained with was the opposite - they would bag out online stores and other local stores and treat customers badly if they shopped elsewhere. The first shop has gotten way more of my business even though I do buy online sometimes. The second shop would never get another cent out of me. I have bought A LOT of scuba gear as well as air fills each week (I know the profit margin on them is low but if you factor in 200 fills a year, it's a bit of money) as well as nearly every week I buy some small do-hicky for diving. Short term the second store made more money out of me (I believed the warranty guff as well as how shipping costs would make me eligible for more tax, not true in either case), but in the long term the first store will make a great deal more money out of me even though I don't always buy from them. I've also recommended over a dozen people to that store so yea, a smart and decent LDS store will realise that demanding absolute loyalty with gear purchasing is stupid.

So anyway, buy online if the price difference is too great, and if your store cracks the sads as you don't give them any more business. You're under no obligation to buy from them - it's your money.

It sounds like you have a very active dive shop. If they are close in price I would probably buy from them. If they are really pro's they will not treat you any different if you buy elsewhere but if you are going to do that - give them a chance to make a counter offer. I know it is uncomfortable but they would rather have the chance to match a price then have you buy somewhere else.

Breechan,
My vote is for local with some reservations. You have to be willing to haggle for dive gear. By this I mean the large ticket items(Reg, BC, Can Light, computer). I will ask my shop to price match. They cant always match but they will sometimes throw in free service or other things that more than make up for it. Don't be afraid to offend them. If they really wont budge and they are the only place in town then buy small items or things like regs from them and buy everything else online. I like both shops I have in town and they will both cut me a deal.
I have bought products online and even had the tech at one shop help me assemble it, it shows that they are working to keep me as a customer. I have bought used gear online and had them service it also and had no problem. If they ask just tell them that someone gave it to you as a gift and your not sure where they purchased it.

OK. There are a bazillion threads on this subject. My experience leads me two conclusions:

1. If you are going to spend significant time with your LDS doing pool/lake/travel excursions, I would lean toward buying from the LDS unless the pricing is hold-up/outrageous.

2. OTOH, if you are like me and really have no allegiance to any particular LDS, other than going on a very occasional trip sponsored by the LDS, I would buy the major gear (BC, Regs, Computer) from the least expensive bona fide source and than sprinkle a little cash locally for misc stuff.

I buy major gear for both my wife and I from ScubaToys, and have for years. The selection, service, and prices are great. In fact, I ship our regs back to ScubaToys for the annual service, and I have never had an issue with a reg malfunctioning after the service.

Good luck and welcome to the Money Black Hole. :D

I always hate to spend more money than I have to on equipment when one place is cheaper than another... but try to look at it long term if you think you'll be doing any kind of steady diving over the course of years.

I buy from my LDS because of the service I get from him. The intangibles go a long way. When I borrowed an octo because mine was giving me trouble and I was going on a trip, he let me borrow it for free... then my dog chewed it up! He said no problem. It still works. I can fix it. No charge. I've been a guest more than once during pool times to do a gear check when he's had a class and he brings a tank for me. No charge. I've told him of my problems with my wetsuit... he said "No problem, just borrow one for the weekend". No charge. I later bought an octo from him that started to freeflow after 2 yrs. He had his tech rebuild it. He wasn't satisfied so he sent it back to the company and had them check it out. No charge. My 20 yr old reg that I bought somewhere else was over the hill so to speak. He had his tech work on it twice... No charge. And it goes on...

I don't think there's another shop like this anywhere. Bottom line is, now I buy my gear from him because of his service and have become a loyal customer of his. Of course he knows it, but that's the kind of relationship that can be built when you support your local shop and your local shop supports you (and doesn't try to squeeze every last penny out of you). He also gives great discounts on equipment and has a no pressure sales attitude. He's also thriving at a time when other shops are going out of business. Any wonder?

So be careful not to be penny wise and pound foolish. In the end, I've found it to be better to support my LDS and have a place to go with all my questions and problems. It's nice to have this type of support from a shop. Of course the one caveat is to find a shop like the one I support. But if you do, take the time to build a relationship with them. Sometimes the cheapest price really isn't.

It's like personal relationships really..

Buying your stuffs online will be like trying to maintain a long distance relationship. On those occasions when you need their TLC, you may have to resort to giving yourself a self service or even paying someone locally to do it for you..

But not all LDS are good partners either.. and some of them can be just too expensive to maintain..

It all goes back to the kind of LDS you have there and the kind of relationships you plan to have with them..

:wink:

I guess I have a completely different mindset. My advice to people is to take their OW from a shop they have no intention of ever returning to. You don't need to be "buddy-buddy" with a shop to find dives or book charters/trips. That's an old-school way of doing things. All of my diving buddies and trips have been found right here on SB and other forums. The divers I've met I've done so by getting active in local clubs and diving communities. I'm not paying for friendship. I've met more than a few instructors this way, and if they happen to be employed by a dive shop, then that's a plus. Do I prefer certain shops for fills? Sure. Am I more likely to walk into a shop where someone I know works? Absolutely.

But this crazy idea that I'm obligated to buy from a certain shop just by virtue of having taken a class there is ridiculous. So is the notion that because I took one class from you I should take ALL my classes from you. Shops like that run would-be loyal customers off. Remember - you're paying for a service, NOT friendship. There is a big difference between the two. For every shop that turns its nose up at servicing my gear b/c I got it elsewhere there is another one willing to sack up and earn some business. Money talks, bulls*** walks.

If I walk into your shop, it's because I want to. Take it as a complement and be happy with it.

I guess I have a completely different mindset. My advice to people is to take their OW from a shop they have no intention of ever returning to. You don't need to be "buddy-buddy" with a shop to find dives or book charters/trips. That's an old-school way of doing things. All of my diving buddies and trips have been found right here on SB and other forums. The divers I've met I've done so by getting active in local clubs and diving communities. I'm not paying for friendship. I've met more than a few instructors this way, and if they happen to be employed by a dive shop, then that's a plus. Do I prefer certain shops for fills? Sure. Am I more likely to walk into a shop where someone I know works? Absolutely.

But this crazy idea that I'm obligated to buy from a certain shop just by virtue of having taken a class there is ridiculous. So is the notion that because I took one class from you I should take ALL my classes from you. Shops like that run would-be loyal customers off. Remember - you're paying for a service, NOT friendship. There is a big difference between the two. For every shop that turns its nose up at servicing my gear b/c I got it elsewhere there is another one willing to sack up and earn some business. Money talks, bulls*** walks.

If I walk into your shop, it's because I want to. Take it as a complement and be happy with it.

I understand where you're coming from, and would probably do things similarly if I was in your shoes. But please remember that not all of us live near an ocean where dive shops/clubs/divers are probably a dime a dozen and there's lots of selection and competitive pricing. *so jealous*:bounce:

I just thought I should bring up that point since I know there are land-locked divers like me elsewhere who share similar problems. Maintaining relationships seems to be pretty important when the diving biz and community are small. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello all, appreciate any advice you can give. :D

Some background:

I recently completed my OW cert in Autumn, and did a bunch of dives on a trip to Australia so I'm still pretty new at diving. I have a 3mm suit, mask, snorkel, fins and booties. Since I live on the Canadian prairies, there's a small diving community and not a lot of competition. I'm a member of my local LDS club which organizes winter pool dives and fun events, lake dives in the summer and trips. I'm really enthusiastic about SCUBA but don't have tons of money to spend.

That's a real political hornet's nest.

If you're out in the middle of Canada and there's one shop within 500 miles of you, I'd suggest buying at least most of your big stuff from your LDS. It's not going to help if you save $200 on a regulator, then discover that you have to drive an entire day every time you get your tank filled.

Some shops don't care, some do. It's hard to tell from across the internet.

I will say that equipment purchases are generally a one-time-deal, and in a couple of years you won't even remember if your regulator cost you $350 or $450, but you'll be getting tank fills forever. Also, your regulator will need maintenance every year or two, so it will be much easier if you buy something they service. (either that or get really friendly with the FedEx guy and cough up the shipping charges).

Terry

Back
Top Bottom