Am I too old to take back up diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower unit looks functional and bow thrusters seem to be more than adequate. Stuffing box may need repacking. Still waiting for pics of the boat.

I'm 56 and closing in on 1500 dives (certified when I was 14). I currently dive deep (135' but no deco anymore, and not too many dives to this depth anymore), in strong currents, on wrecks, off the beach with 50 yard sand walks in full gear and 1 mile swims to the dive site, and combo deep/current/wreck/night dives. I think I dive as advanced as any recreational diver of any age can do without venturing into tech territory.

My wife got certified when she was 50. She is close to 250 dives now, and has done all of the types of dives mentioned above.

We work out 5 days a week (combos of cardio and strength) and I swim and bike as well. We stay at a healthy weight, and we have no medical conditions that could make our diving unsafe, and get a check-up once or twice a year to be sure.

I plan to dive until I am either unable to do physically, or I feel I am not in good enough condition so that I am a burden or a hazard to my buddy. Barring the unexpected, I expect to dive at least 15 more years, and I hope even longer, even if I have to get more conservative as I age.

So, NOT TOO OLD!

Are you looking for a pat on the back????????????? You are in relatively good shape - BFD - if you can carry the load into and out of the water you are good to go - assuming you still have the skills. Unlike a bicycle you can't just climb back on.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts made linking to images have been removed as they violate the SB Terms of Service: Content portraying anyone in a sexual or demeaning manner will be deleted, including in the Pub. Images must be no more revealing than those found in a typical travel magazine. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Posts made linking to images have been removed as they violate the SB Terms of Service: Content portraying anyone in a sexual or demeaning manner will be deleted, including in the Pub. Images must be no more revealing than those found in a typical travel magazine. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Pretty funny.

The whole thread is a troll thread.

Can I still dive? I have a hot wife.

Look, here she is.

How do you like these boats. I want two, one for east coast and one for west coast.

Total troll.

Are you kidding, Im 57 and just started last year at 56! Ive done 50 dives so far and just got my AOW. Get on out there! and bring those single GF's along!

If you would have read through the entire post I never came on and asked if anyone wanted to see pics of the boats.

Pretty funny.

The whole thread is a troll thread.

Can I still dive? I have a hot wife.

Look, here she is.

How do you like these boats. I want two, one for east coast and one for west coast.

Total troll.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a Wikipedia essay on the topic, see meta:What is a troll?
"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]

---------- Post added November 6th, 2014 at 07:03 PM ----------

Yes [stupid system would not let me type just yes]

Per reply from one of the member here I posted links. My definition and the forum definition were completely different. Possibly a demographic issue as the outfits in question are totally acceptable in our neck of the woods. But we now know not to post any swim suit pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom