American tanks & Canadian??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicmac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, Im still new to scuba and want to buy my own tank, I have seen one which is termed as a US tank. I am in Canada (recently moved from UK) and wondered if the standards are the same,ie is it permitted here?

Look at the crown markings on your tank. If you see something like TC-3ALM207 you are good - the marking indicates the Canadian regulatory authority, Transport Canada (TC), and specification, 3ALM, to which the cylinder is manufactured in compliance (required mark).

You got me curious - when I checked my HP steel tanks (bought in Canada) the codes on the shoulder of the tank show both DOT- which indicates US Dept of Transport, and TC (Transport Canada).

Here's a link to deciphering tank markings..... Crown Markings of a SCUBA Cylinder

I expect the reference means that it's a made in USA tank (rather than in Italy like my Fabers)

I'm assuming it's a used tank you're looking at. The most important think you want to check is the last hydrostatic testing date (must be done every 5 years) and the VIP sticker. If it's out of hydro and does not have a current VIP these will need to be done before your shop will fill the tank.

Before buying a used tank check with your local shop to see if the offer any free fills with new tanks. If you're planning on diving frequently this can be a real money saver.

Tanks in North American are allowed to cross borders as long as they are stamped DOT and / or TC.

Furthermore, get ready to see tanks stamped ''ISO'' within the next few years. I work in the compress gas industry and North American manufacturers (Worthington & Tayor-Worton for instance) are now manufacturing tank according to this standard.

You want to make sure it has the TC marking. The DOT/TC markings mean that they are built to a standard that they are allowed to be transported while under pressure on a public road in either the US for DOT and Canada for TC. In a private car nobody will usually bother you, but if you ever go in a commercial vehicle or other form or commercial transportation, it becomes a much bigger deal. Usually TC will accept a DOT marking, but they don't have to, especially if it is being carried by a Canadian vehicle/citizen. US DOT officials may or may not know what TC means (but usually a Canadian official knows what DOT means) so keep it in mind if you think this will ever be an issue. For most people it won't be, but if you ever haul a boat with a commercial vehicle with a US DOT number like I do (I use my business F-550 because its the only thing I have that will tow the boat without any issue at all), then you can have this issue.

He has listed it as a US DIVER scuba tank, so I did not know if this was a brand or that it was American. But it has just had its hydro test, just trying to find out more info. Thanks fot all the info everyone :cool2:

He has listed it as a US DIVER scuba tank, so I did not know if this was a brand or that it was American. But it has just had its hydro test, just trying to find out more info. Thanks fot all the info everyone :cool2:

That's a brand.

Get him to email you a photo of the crown markings.

At least in the US, some shops will not fill certain older tanks regardless of hydro and stamps. Just something to be aware of...at least in the USA.

The main reason you see both is, as was touched on above, because the manufacturers can and do sell gear on both sides of the border, not to mention us scuba divers have a tendency to go back and forth across the border to dive.

Every compressed gas cylinder (not just scuba) goes through a certification process by these 2 agencies. Each has similar rules, but not quite the same. And each being an agency for a different government have their own timeframe and process for certification. For example when XS Scuba came out with their current line of steel cylinders made by Worthington they were certified and approved by TC reletively quick. On the US side of things they had to get an exemption for a year while DOT dragged their feet and when it almost expired had to yell and scream a bit to get some desk jockey to find the paperwork that was collecting dust or being folded up and used to even out the short leg on a desk or something and put a stamp on it.

That's honestly a facitous look at it, but who knows? Could have happened that way. :) But it'd be a nightmare for the manufacturers and would wind up costing us a lot more in cylinders if they had to make 2 different cylinders for each certification stamp and where it was to be sold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom